Newbie in Florida just joined

16 Replies

Hi My name is Mary Kirkpatrick and I am north of Tampa/Orlando in Ocala, FL. I am originally from Central Ohio and have lived in many places in the U.S.  I owned some rental properties for a few years. I am interested in single family homes and eventually apartments and self storage. I'm experienced in home construction and digital marketing. I am excited to be here and learn and share.

@James Wise

Ha! Yep that was it, too much good weather up there.  No, Ohio will always be "home" but those last few winters - man, they were killers.  I never get tired of 80 and sunny. It suits me just fine.  I also like some of the Ohio real estate markets - mostly Columbus and Central Ohio.  Feels a little more stable to me than some of the boom/bust areas of the country like FL.  Still plan to buy here but will also diversify by buying in the Buckeye state too.

@Gilbert Dominguez

Hi there, my husband is a Florida licensed general contractor and we had a fast growing biz before 2008 when we hit the skids like you.  Went from building 50 homes a year to zero. I've worked in marketing for 30 years so that's keeping us going but would love to get back involved in it. I first started learning about RE investing reading "Nothing Down For the 90's" back in the early 90's but am nowhere near my goals. I have 1 rental. Interested in just about anything.

Welcome to BP.

My one investment property is in Ocala. As a long distance landlady I'm curious about what's going on in Marion County. Hope to see more of you on the forums.

@Mary K.

Welcome. 

Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers). Find them through Google and meetup.com

You might consider Niche or Specialized Housing like student housing. Rents can be 2-4 times more. Remember you don't have to own a property to control it.

Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

Good Luck

Paul

Hey @Mary K. , welcome to BP!

I think the closest REIA to you is going to be CFRI.

It sounds like you have a great investing background.  Here are a couple tips to help you get the most out of BP:

Start here. You'll get a wealth of REI knowledge and learn how to take full advantage of Bigger Pockets (including how to connect with other Central Florida investors).

Listen to the podcasts , get active on the forums & set up key word alerts to be notified when people are discussing topics you're interested in. 

Since you're interested SFR's, you should check this equity partnership deal I just posted on the marketplace, which is a great place to find deals, partners, financing, etc...

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/517/topics/211...

I wish you all the best and look forward to connecting with you at some point.

@Dana Whicker

I am hoping so. Ocala doesn't have the big, steady employment base of the big Florida cities, which is a negative, but does have a few growing industries, growing retirement base, the Villages is close by, etc.  Not sure where the best areas in Florida to buy and hold would be for the long term (20 years+).  Something I hope to learn.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you