New member from Ohio

11 Replies

Hey I'm 30 years old, married, and have a full time job. I'm here looking for information mostly on rental properties. The plan is to buy my first investment property (aiming for a multifamily unit) here within 6 months to a year. As of now I plan on continuing to work at my current job and see where real estate investing takes me. 

@Adam Smigel Welcome to BiggerPockets! I'd recommend 3 things. Check out the BP Podcast and the Ultimate Beginners Guide here on the site, and pick up a book like The Millionaire Real Estate Investor by Gary Keller and Jay Papasan. That'll put you well on your way to (hopefully) making smart decisions in this business!

-Ben

Hey thanks John! And I appreciate the advice Ben. I have been cramming information in for the last few months trying to learn as much as I can before I make my first move. I will be listening to those podcasts and checking out those books for sure. John I plan on (at least for now) staying local which is pretty much anywhere in Lorain County. That's about 20 mins west of Cleveland. I'm usually pretty busy at work and new to this business so I feel it would be best to stay close for now. Especially while I'm just getting my feet wet.

I'm new as well but I have been hitting the podcasts pretty hard.  Check those out and choose the ones that specifically talk about multifamily properties.  

Welcome Adam. I am opposite of Cleveland (20 mins east). If you want to start scoping out local multis I would use trulia. Zillow is good but doesn't necessarily have a function in their search parameters to designate mulit or investment. Trulia has two buttons for these in their advanced search. It would be good for you to start scanning the market so when you are ready to pull the trigger you already have knowledge of the local multi market.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you