Newbie from Houston Texas

9 Replies

My name is Stacy I am a native Houstonian, single mother of two (now grown-ups). With twin grandbabies (6 & 7) on the way. I currently work full time in an Accounting and Administration capacity at a local maintenance supply company. I take full time college courses working on double Bachelor's degrees. While simultaneously focusing on starting a business and becoming successful in property investments of all kinds.

I am extremely motivated, anxious and excited to become a real estate investor. I have been researching and trying to learn as much as possible. So far I have in place my company name (A. Horton Homes LLC), logo, website, email, phone, p.o. box and business cards. I've gone to several classes and workshops, where recently I was advised that BiggerPockets.com would be a good place for me to affiliate myself to find credible help and resources necessary to getting started in real estate investing. I watched a podcast this evening and I think the best advice I've received so far was to check out this site. I'm not financially able to go make cash deals on my own just yet, but even if I were, I still need to know more than I do, so I make good investment decisions. I am hopeful that in the very near future (maybe with a little help from some new friends) I will be an actual successful investor. I welcome any words. of wisdom, cautionary tales, or helpful hints anyone wishes to share with me. I look forward to getting to know more people here as well.

Welcome to BP @Stacy Thomas . You seem motivated indeed. Double bachelor AND learning real estate? Glutton for punishment :)

One piece of advice that you will see commonly on BP is to be careful of where those classes/workshops you take lead you. If they're the type to upsell you to more expensive courses then be careful. Along those same lines, since you're already in college, look to see if you can find some real estate courses. Two birds with one stone and all.

Thank You! and glutton for punishment indeed. Yeah, I have experienced the 40k upsell for "advanced training" I knew that was coming but figured I'd still get something out of it I didn't know before, and I did, without the "investment". I am also actually looking into changing my second major to something in real estate for the same two birds one stone reason you mentioned. Great minds and all. I just signed up with a number of networking groups and the response already is amazing! I don't know how I'm going to fit it all in but I will find a way. Thanks so much for reaching out, I was a

@Stacy Thomas I recommend all of my clients check out BP. It's simply the best free resource I know of out there. As far as cash/assets go, if you're a working professional in Houston, odds are you have a retirement account. Check out Quest in Katy for information on how to leverage those funds in your favor via a self directed IRA.

On the topic of Quest IRA, they have great classes and networking events. You can use your own funds to purchase, but also I have used owners of IRAs with Quest IRA to help me with rehabs in the past. Even the President of the company and his father lent me money for a rehab. Good size company, small town feel, very knowledgeable people and based in Houston. They will probably be at one of the RICH (real estate investment club of Houston) meetings

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you