New Guy in Chicago - question regarding building permits

4 Replies

I've been lurking on the site for several months, and I am getting ready to jump in with my first fix and flip as an investor.  I did one years ago as a homeowner, but that was a different animal because time was not of the essence. 

My question has to do with the best way to deal with the hassle of building permits. My target area is mid-range (for Chicago) homes on the far north and northwest sides of Chicago. There is virtually nothing that you can do to profitably flip a SFH in this area that does not require a permit. In almost every case you will be finishing basements (possibly digging them out), moving or removing walls, moving staircases, adding shed dormers to 1 1/2 story homes, updating mechanicals, etc.

Is anyone willing to share the name of an architect or architects, who's practice is directed toward the investor rehabber with respect to the permitting process in Chicago, i.e. they can do the drawings and get the permits approved as quickly as can be expected in this town.

If providing such referrals violates the forum rules, I apologize and ask that you ignore my request, but I would appreciate any other insight from experienced rehabbers

@Evan Hughes Another path you might take is request a Refferal for an "Expiditor" and they generally work with architects.  The city of Chicago website has a database online or ask on here for an Expiditor refferal.  

Welcome @Evan Hughes !

As @Mark Ainley suggested, you may wish to contact a permit expediter - in addition to assisting one through the actual process of permitting, they may prove very helpful in directing you to the design professionals you'll need.  Keep in mind, the process of creating the appropriate set of permit documents may often exceed the timeline of funneling the permit through your local municipality.

On that note, I encourage you to meet with the folks at the permit office where you'll be working and ask them to assist you in understanding the process, the expectations and the like.  While they are probably not allowed to make a recommendation, they may very well be able to answer a question posed to them about which firms seem to have the easiest time getting through the permit process because the docs are complete and right the first time.

And finally, check with your contractor... they may very well have the in-house resources and/or relationships in place already...

Best of luck to you!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you