A New Novice in Dallas

17 Replies

Hello Bigger Pockets forum!

I'm Daniel Porter, a 24 jazz musician living in Dallas, Texas. I got my undergrad in jazz performance from the University of North Texas in the fall of 2014 and have been working as a professional musician in the DFW area for almost 3 years now. Ive been able to save up a sizable chunk of change and I want to start using it.

I'm getting into real estate investing to be able live on passive income. At that point I could take less corporate/wedding "work" gigs and just focus on my creative endeavors.

Right now my main goal is education, which has brought me here! I found BP by searching for real estate investing podcasts. So cool to have a huge online community of investors to learn from! I'm happy to be apart of it.

As for niches, I want to start in SFH student rentals and/or house hacking. Eventually I'd like to move on to bigger and riskier investments, specifically multiplexes/apartments and house flipping.

As for a quick bit about my personal life, i am devoted to my craft, and I still practice about 4hrs/day. I enjoy writing music as well. I love traveling (Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Seoul, London, Rye, the Bahamas, majority of U.S.), I enjoy carpentry, and am an avid recreational shooter.

Hope to meet you all soon, in person or on the forum!

To many good deals,

-Dan

@Daniel Porter

Hi.. Welcome to BP. It's a great community and I'll sure you'll learn a lot from the forums and podcast. Here's one quick tip: use the "@" when typing in a forum post and you'll see a list of names appear (your colleagues or the people who posted on the post). Then they will be alerted if you mention their names.

I'm out in Seoul right now. When's the last time you were out here? It's getting cold - we just had our first snow yesterday.

I help organize the Seoul Real Estate Investing Meetup. Our last meetup was in November - check out the website in my signature if you're curious to learn more. And tonight we met a fellow BP member from Tokyo, Japan - @Pyrrha Rivers who was visiting Korea over the Thanksgiving holiday.

Best of luck with everything! Feel free to reach out anytime ^^ 

Welcome @Daniel Porter to the Bigger Pockets community.

This is a great place to learn and network.

Regarding learning:

• Check out the "Education" tab above. There are lots of free podcasts and guides that can help you get started. In particular, check out the "Ultimate Beginner's Guide."
  • Set up keyword alerts on topics that interest you.

Regarding networking:

• Under the "Community" tab above take a look at all of the different forums. Get involved with a discussion or start one.
  • Locally there are several BP meetup groups. You can find these under the "Local Real Estate Networking & Recommendations" or by going to the meetup website.
  • You might be interested in local investor groups. The one I attend regularly is the North Texas Association of Real Estate Investors (www.ntarei.com). There are a bunch of other REI clubs in Dallas. You can find these on your favorite search engine. These groups are a good place to learn about the local market and meet fellow investors and vendors.

My wife and I live in Murphy and recently became Realtors with Keller Williams in Allen. Our focus is Collin County and northern Dallas County. Please reach out if you want to discuss the local market. FYI, we (and other Realtors) can set up a customized search for you of properties listed on the MLS. (This is another good way to see what is currently on the market.)

Good luck.

@Daniel Porter Welcome to BP!

I graduated form UNT Dallas studying business! Sounds like an awesome deal you have going on! I've only been on the site for a week but have loved it so far. I'm sure you will find exactly what you're looking for.

Best of luck in your real estate endeavors and God bless!

Welcome, @Daniel Porter !    I wanted to major in music in college, w/ aspirations of becoming a professional musician, but my mother recognized the insufficiency of my talent to do so before I did, so I majored in finance instead.    Still love playing, but nobody is going to pay much to hear me!

welcome...sounds like you have a focused strategy already and a market in mind... Flexible schedule and carpentry skills (and being handy) are a big plus for a successful hands on landlord (or other adventure)...as performer, you know a lot of the success is in the operational details whic you can read about on this site or In books on landloridng (and I put four "classics" of the genre in a blog post)....

@Daniel Ryu  

I'm also a BP member looking to get into investing, hoping to buy my first property in the next couple of months.  I currently am living in Japan as well, but frequently make trips to Seoul.  In fact I should be in Seoul in the April timeframe (I know thats a ways away) and would love to attend a meeting if you have anything going on.  I am always interested in meeting new people and learning as much as possible.  

@Daniel Porter  Welcome to Bp! As you will see, there are so many different strategies and niches within niches that you can spend a sizable amount of your time and energy in the learning phase.

That is important but even more so is networking and taking some action. I have met some really smart people although I have limited opportunities due to living abroad, but still have managed to connect. Just last night, as Dan Ryu mentioned, I had a chance to meet with him and several other investors in Seoul where I am to visit a friend. Now I'm thinking that every time I take a trip I would love to have a chance to meet investors in the area. It was so cool!

Best wishes!

Originally posted by @Adam Treece :

@Daniel Ryu  

I'm also a BP member looking to get into investing, hoping to buy my first property in the next couple of months.  I currently am living in Japan as well, but frequently make trips to Seoul.  In fact I should be in Seoul in the April timeframe (I know thats a ways away) and would love to attend a meeting if you have anything going on.  I am always interested in meeting new people and learning as much as possible.  

Hi Adam! Thanks for reaching out. 

Not sure the schedule yet but I'm sure there'll be members who want to get together. 

Keep me posted and I'll coordinate something! 

Originally posted by @Pyrrha Rivers :

@Daniel Porter  Welcome to Bp! As you will see, there are so many different strategies and niches within niches that you can spend a sizable amount of your time and energy in the learning phase.

That is important but even more so is networking and taking some action. I have met some really smart people although I have limited opportunities due to living abroad, but still have managed to connect. Just last night, as Dan Ryu mentioned, I had a chance to meet with him and several other investors in Seoul where I am to visit a friend. Now I'm thinking that every time I take a trip I would love to have a chance to meet investors in the area. It was so cool!

Best wishes!

Great finally meeting you in person Pyrrha. Your story is inspirational and awesome to see your making a success of things despite the overseas barriers. 

Look forward to staying in contact ^^ Take care! 

Originally posted by @Daniel Porter :

Hello Bigger Pockets forum!

I'm Daniel Porter, a 24 jazz musician living in Dallas, Texas. I got my undergrad in jazz performance from the University of North Texas in the fall of 2014 and have been working as a professional musician in the DFW area for almost 3 years now. Ive been able to save up a sizable chunk of change and I want to start using it.

I'm getting into real estate investing to be able live on passive income. At that point I could take less corporate/wedding "work" gigs and just focus on my creative endeavors.

Right now my main goal is education, which has brought me here! I found BP by searching for real estate investing podcasts. So cool to have a huge online community of investors to learn from! I'm happy to be apart of it.

As for niches, I want to start in SFH student rentals and/or house hacking. Eventually I'd like to move on to bigger and riskier investments, specifically multiplexes/apartments and house flipping.

As for a quick bit about my personal life, i am devoted to my craft, and I still practice about 4hrs/day. I enjoy writing music as well. I love traveling (Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Seoul, London, Rye, the Bahamas, majority of U.S.), I enjoy carpentry, and am an avid recreational shooter.

Hope to meet you all soon, in person or on the forum!

To many good deals,

-Dan

Hello and welcome! It all sounds good.  Just be careful and Allways du your due diligence.  If you don't feel good about that deal do not do it.  There is allways another deal around the corner.  I am 59 years old and I found BP about 3months ago and I am still learning.  I graduated from  college with a business degree that

Had a real estate emphasis and I got my broker license in 1980.  Regaurdless of that I was more comfortable with staying in the construction business.  I have been in the construction business since I was 17.if you think that I may be of any help to you please contact me at any time.  Good luck! 

@Daniel Ryu

I was there in June of this year. I stayed in the Cheongna area of Incheon, and went into Seoul frequently. The public transportation was superb! It was a great experience, loved the food and the culture too. If i'm ever there again, i'll be sure to reach out!  

@Scott Beck thanks for the tips! i'll be sure to reach out soon, after i read up a little more and get a solid grasp on the basics. 

@Simon Cox Go Eagles! haha. Thanks for saying hi. 

@Chris Soignier thanks! I think student housing would be easy since I have a lot of friends in multiple cities that are still in college and i know most of them looking to rent from someone they know/trust/respect vs someone they don't have a relationship with. Well, at least i'm hoping so... haha. 

Hello!  I am so sorry that I have seemingly taken so long to get back to you but I just figured out that this option was available.  Sounds like you have a good plan.  I hope you will call on me if you need any help and I hope to get back to you sooner. I love that you are a musician. Best wishes!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you