Skip to content
New Member Introductions

User Stats

Votes
Steven Davis
  • Investor
  • San Mateo, CA
Votes |
Sensible investing in California Real Estate?

Steven Davis
  • Investor
  • San Mateo, CA
Posted May 26 2016, 09:06

After 30 years of working my *** off to get an extra percent or two in the stock market, I've finally realized that I should be investing in real estate.

Better late than never.

First of all, Thank You to all the posters, formum-ers, podcasters, and writers on this site. You've helped jump start my education in real estate investing.

Who I am...

• 50 years old. 
  • Wonderful wife and 2 small children.
  • Decades in the high tech field (IT security).
  • Self-employed for the past 15+ years with my own business with an excellent partner.
  • Lots of experience on large projects in the software / IT world... and had enough of it.

What I've learned so far...

• I'm not a flipper or wholesaler or other exciting things. I'm pretty much what I was with stocks - a long term, buy-and-hold investor.... Woo Hoo, income and long term capital appreciation!
  • I am interested in solid cash flow plus reasonable appreciation (aren't we all?).
  • I am mostly interested in multi-unit residential and commercial properties.
  • I will probably be "hands off" - using property managers for properties.
  • I'm not interested in "turn key" deals unless I do the key-turning.

My challenges...

• I live in the San Francisco Bay area. I don't own my house and, given the market here, that isn't happening any time soon.
  • California real estate is (cough) rather fully priced as a whole. 
  • I would like to be able to visit the properties that I buy, especially at first. Without getting on a plane, a train, or spending a day or more driving.

Where I'm at....

• I've found my initial market here in California with what I consider reasonable cash flow and appreciation.
  • I am (initially) looking at 4-plexes and more-plexes as well as smaller mixed commercial/residential properties. These properties seem the most inefficiently priced as they are too big for residential purchasers and too small for big money dudes...  more on this later.
  • I have several properties in my target market that I like. I am getting pre-approved so I can write an offer.
  • I am also going to set up an IRA LLC (Roth) soon to purchase properties as well (I've been a good boy an put money aside for years and done pretty well in stocks)... more on this later as well.

Observations...

• This stuff is fun. It is like researching stocks but not having thousands of other people doing the same thing you are. Less competition = more opportunity.
  • You start saying you are investing in real estate and all of a sudden, people want to talk to you about it... hello syndication at some point.
  • Finding small commercial loan providers seems to be a challenge (also more on this later). Everybody wants to help me finance a 150 unit deal. I look forward to that too!

Glad to meet you all. Happy hunting.

Loading replies...