New member in Denton, TX

21 Replies

HI!  I have been reading Bigger Pockets forums for a couple of weeks and have recently joined with some friends in starting a real estate investing business.  I have a full time job and a family, and I am here to build passive income and change my family tree.  My husband & I have committed to NOT live the way our parents lived and to teach our boys differently as well.  

Our business will be wholesaling at this point, with the goal being to save enough money to purchase multifamily properties and eventually commercial businesses, like storage facilities or laundromats. I love the idea of fix & flipping property and my goal is to do our first flip within the next year.   Ultimately I want to replace mine and my husband's income with passive income from investments.

That being said, I have worked with at risk children in schools doing behavior intervention for the last 13 years.  This is a major career change venture for me and I am trying to learn as much as I can about this business.  I am really looking forward to networking with other professionals and learning as I go!   There is so much involved in wholesale that I am not familiar with but the more I learn the more I am ready to get this thing going!  I can't wait until we can find and close our first deal!

@Amy Clark ....welcome...read, read, read. These posts are extremely valuable. Listen to the podcasts. I'm a realtor in Southlake, servicing the Dallas and Fort Worth area...I've worked with investors, feel free to use me as a resource...!!!

Promotion
Roofstock
Buy & sell single-family rentals online
Radically accessible real estate investing
Get access to exclusive property listings, proprietary data, and support to build your portfolio.
Learn More

@Amy Clark

Welcome to BP; glad you decided to post. Do lots of reading, listen to all the podcasts, then take action. Don't fall into analysis paralysis. You'll learn far more from taking action than anything else. If you're going to wholesale, set a goal of how many deals you want to do by the end of the year, work backwards and break it down to actionable daily goals and fight to hit those daily goals. You can't directly control your outcome, but you can directly control your daily activity. Best of luck!

Welcome to the club, there is a wealth of information on this site and a lot of great people that will help you on your journey if you ask. Make sure to attend some local REIAs and meet the people doing what you want to do. I love the statement "change my family tree" that is my biggest motivation every morning when I wake is to live like no one else now so I can live like no one else later. Good Luck!

Welcome!  I'm pretty new here as well.  Whenever I've posted on the forums, people have been very helpful!  I definitely recommend incorporating listening to the podcasts as part of your daily ritual.  They provide a wealth of information, but also help to keep you motivated each and every day about real estate investing.

Welcome to the forums!  I am also a local Denton folk for at least a few generations.  I wear many hats, RE Agent, investor, property manger etc etc.  That being said when you get some homes please reach out to me.  We have bought a decent amount of wholesale houses in Denton this year and always looking for more so I would love to be on your list. 

Amy, welcome aboard.

The BP podcasts are a gold mine of information.

Connect with me anytime. Although my company is based in CA and IL, we are both buyers and private lenders on lower $ ARV SFR properties throughout the U.S. We will also entertain wholesale assignments if the numbers work, the deal secure, and we are not looking at a war zone.

Best of luck and continued success.

Promotion
Sundae
Property Marketplace
Find Professionally Vetted Properties from Motivated Sellers
Eliminate the need to hunt for houses again. We bring your next investment opportunity to you.

Hi Amy!  Welcome!  I run the local DFW BP meetup!  We would love to have you join us this Weds.  We can not call ourselves BP so please join us here: https://www.meetup.com/DFW-REI-Network-Investing-M...

I am doing a flip right now and Denton and it is my second in Denton this year.  I am also building shipping container apartments a couple of blocks from UNT with a crowd fund and have one rental in Denton.  I would be very interested in any wholesale deals you come across.  Look forward to meeting you!  Please contact me anytime I too am an RE Agent, investor, builder, and rehabber.

Happy Investing!

Sherry

@Amy Clark - Sherry's group is a good one.  There was also a group in your area called Denton Area Real Estate Investors that meets monthly.  Leadership recently changed hands and I don't see any upcoming meetings, but the ones I attended were good and a little closer to you.  Check out Meetup.com to find that one and others.

As for wholesaling - we just landed our first deal from our own postcard campaign.  Very exciting - we are keeping it as a rental.  I would be interested in any deals you come across as well - we have bought a lot of our deals from wholesalers.

Andy

Originally posted by @Andy W.:

@Amy Clark - Sherry's group is a good one.  There was also a group in your area called Denton Area Real Estate Investors that meets monthly.  Leadership recently changed hands and I don't see any upcoming meetings, but the ones I attended were good and a little closer to you.  Check out Meetup.com to find that one and others.

As for wholesaling - we just landed our first deal from our own postcard campaign.  Very exciting - we are keeping it as a rental.  I would be interested in any deals you come across as well - we have bought a lot of our deals from wholesalers.

Andy

Thank you for the info!  I requested to join Denton Area Real Estate investors and have not been approved but that would explain why. I can't wait to start networking and doing some deals!  Our company is just starting and my partners & I are all new.  I look forward to getting started, finding a deal, and I'll definitely add you to my list of contacts. Thank you!

Amy, welcome to the BP community. I am also in North Texas and invest in Denton County. I love Denton specifically as a rental market. The forum and the podcast are a great way to get a fast start on your RE knowledge and make some great connections. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you