• Real Estate Professional
  • Media, PA
Votes |
New here from Philadelphia

Leann Lilly
  • Media, PA
Posted Jun 21 2017, 17:54

Hi everyone, just wanted to make a quick introduction.  I just started my real estate investing journey, and I am focused on educating myself at the moment.  Once I get a handle on the lingo, I plan to start by purchasing a single family home to rent out and move forward from there.  I work a full time job as a pharmacist right now, but I am looking to transition to doing this full time.  I have considered getting into property management as well.  I plan on attending as many meetups in the area as possible to make some great connections.  If anyone is attending the Philadelphia Shark Tank meetup @ WeWork in Northern Liberties on Tuesday June 27th I will be there.  Looking forward to meeting some great people to take this journey with.  Cheers!

User Stats

Votes
Bryan Pham
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Oakland, CA
Replied Jun 21 2017, 18:06

@Leann Lilly Welcome to BP! Sounds like you have a wonderful plan to get started using house hacking techniques. Your mindset is definitely at a great place, there's no doubt you will success in this industry if you continue to work at it without giving up!  

User Stats

Votes
John Knisely
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Media, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Media, PA
Replied Jun 21 2017, 18:07

@Leann Lilly welcome!  It looks like we are neighbors. You're taking the right first step by educating yourself on Biggerpockets. I'm in a similar situation, working full time while taking action to transition to full time real estate (agent and investor). If there's anything I can help you with in your journey, feel free to reach out to me. Hope to see you around at the networking events!

• Real Estate Agent PA (#RS337729)

Media Home Pro Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Vincent Hope
  • Developer
  • Southampton, PA
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Southampton, PA
Replied Jun 21 2017, 18:16

@Leann Lilly Hi there! Philly area is an exciting place to be investing in right now. Other young investors from the area meet in lower bucks county. Feel free to contact! Best of luck.

User Stats

Votes
Leann Lilly
  • Media, PA
Votes |
  • Media, PA
Replied Jun 21 2017, 18:29

Thanks for reaching out @Brian Pham @John Knisely and @Vincent Hope

I love the encouragement on this site and all of the great info that it provides.  Looking forward to seeing you guys at some events!

User Stats

Votes
Marcus Lawson
  • Roselle, NJ
Votes |
  • Roselle, NJ
Replied Jun 21 2017, 18:57

Hey its always nice to meet another fellow pharmacist on BP. 

User Stats

Votes
Leann Lilly
  • Media, PA
Votes |
  • Media, PA
Replied Jun 21 2017, 20:35

Marcus Lawson pharmacy is such a small community and it's great to see we have that as well as real estate investing in common.

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Scorese
Pro Member
  • Banker
  • Philadelphia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Banker
  • Philadelphia
Replied Jun 22 2017, 04:46

Hi @Leann Lilly,

Welcome to BP!

There are a lot of great educational networking events throughout the Greater Philadelphia Real Estate Market. Check out Diversified Investors Group website for the subgroups and main meeting which are monthly. Also, look forward to seeing you at Shark Tank since I am the sponsor and host of the event at WeWork. Please pm me with any questions and look forward to meeting you.

Regards,

Joe Scorese

brrrr.com Logo

User Stats

Votes
Dmitriy Fomichenko
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Solo 401k Expert
  • Anaheim Hills, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Solo 401k Expert
  • Anaheim Hills, CA
Replied Jun 22 2017, 05:53

@Leann Lilly

Welcome to the BP family! Great that you joined the site! Here are some recommendations for you:

Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet
Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts
Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing
Check out BP Podcasts: http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/category/podcast/

Wishing you the best!

User Stats

Votes
Leann Lilly
  • Media, PA
Votes |
  • Media, PA
Replied Jun 23 2017, 00:50

@Dmitriy Fomichenko Thanks for all of the great recommendations.  I really appreciate this community it's one of a kind.

User Stats

Votes
Leann Lilly
  • Media, PA
Votes |
  • Media, PA
Replied Jun 23 2017, 00:52

@Joseph Scorese Looking forward to seeing you at the event on Tuesday.  I cannot wait to meet all of the great investors in our area.

User Stats

Votes
Michael James
  • Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (PA)
Votes |
Replied Jun 24 2017, 20:17

HI @Leann Lilly!

Welcome to the forums, one of my pals was/is a pharmacist.  He's only working part-time because he put a lot of his properties on a 15 year mortgage.  You can also check out the app, called meetup, they have some groups that meet up in the Delco/Chesco/Montco and Philadelphia counties.  I've started targeting areas depending on the tax millage rates, because a good deal can be killed by high taxes. 

User Stats

Votes
Leann Lilly
  • Media, PA
Votes |
  • Media, PA
Replied Jun 24 2017, 22:29

@Michael James

Thanks for the welcome.  I'm going to a meetup on Tuesday at WeWork Northern Liberties that I am really looking forward to.  Thanks for the tax advice.  I will definately take that into consideration.  What is your particular interests and expertise?  I look forward to connecting with you and all of the other great people on this forum.

User Stats

Votes
Michael James
Votes |
Replied Jun 25 2017, 00:50

@Leann Lilly I have been searching for multifamily properties that have some positive cash flow. No experience of being a landlord yet. Hopefully that will change shortly. I've worked long enough as a police officer to know that I'm going to stay out of the 'war zone' neighborhoods. I don't think I could muster the patience for that type of  commitment yet   

User Stats

Votes
Leann Lilly
  • Media, PA
Votes |
  • Media, PA
Replied Jun 25 2017, 01:34

@Michael James Sounds like you know your criteria.  I am looking for multifamily as well in a decent neighborhood close to me so I can easily manage it.  I'm searching now for some potential properties to evaluate.  I hope you find a great deal and jump in to the landlord biz.

User Stats

Votes
Michael James
Votes |
Replied Jun 25 2017, 02:20

@Leann Lilly you either don't sleep or you share my wacky hours of work.  I actually live in the Drexel Hill area currently, and work in Chester County so I'd like to keep it local as well. I'm hoping my unusual hours will be an advantage moving forward. 

User Stats

Votes
Leann Lilly
  • Media, PA
Votes |
  • Media, PA
Replied Jun 25 2017, 03:28

@Michael James Ha I hear you I work 3rd shift at Crozer.  That explains my wacky schedule.  I used to live on Childs Ave. in Drexel Hill and loved it there.

User Stats

Votes
Michael James
Votes |
Replied Jun 25 2017, 03:51

@Leann Lilly, I only make drop offs at Crozer when it's the crisis center.  

User Stats

Votes
Richard B.
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Jun 25 2017, 03:55

Welcome to BP, Leann! Best wishes in your new venture.

User Stats

Votes
Leann Lilly
  • Media, PA
Votes |
  • Media, PA
Replied Jun 25 2017, 04:15

@Michael James  I hear ya.  It was busy over there tonight.  I work in the pharmacy, which is right down the hall from crisis.  I usually park out back so if you see a little red Mercedes that's me!!!  Maybe we will run into one another at the hospital one night.

User Stats

Votes
Leann Lilly
  • Media, PA
Votes |
  • Media, PA
Replied Jun 25 2017, 04:15

Thanks @Richard B.