Diving in to the Sacramento Market

10 Replies

Hello All! 

I'm currently in the process of moving to Sacramento to invest in real estate full time. I hope to be a resident by January, but in the mean time try to visit the city at least once a week. I'm looking to expand my network and build a business around flips as well as buy/hold investments. Here's a bit about me: 

Background: After college I received a commission into the USAF, ultimately flying aboard B-1B bombers. During my career as an officer I participated in three deployments, supporting operations in Afghanistan, Iraq, and Syria, amassing over 1500 combat hours.  Although I appreciated my time in the military, particularly the opportunity to work with so many amazing people, I ultimately decided to separate after 8 years active duty in order to pursue other opportunities. 

Real Estate Experience:  While stationed in Rapid City SD, I purchased my first duplex in 2012, initially living in one side and renting out the other. I made substantial improvements to the property, including renovated bathrooms, flooring, kitchen, and a new roof. In 2014 I purchased my second duplex, and in 2016 I purchased my third. All three are currently self-managed and cash flow. 

Goals: 

Short-term goal: purchase my first property in the Sacramento Area. Potentially seeking a live in multi-family flip. (Cash Buyer)

Mid-term goal: Develop a business around flipping SFH's.

Long-term goal: Continue to invest in Buy/Hold properties and move into commercial apartments. 

Thanks for reading and I look forward to connecting with you!

Welcome, Currently in Sacramento as well. In order to find those diamonds in the rough, it will take alot of marketing to find the good deals. There is a lot of competition out here, however doesn't mean it wont be possible. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

welcome to the Sacramento area!!! I too am in the Sacramento area and just getting into real estate and real estate investing, so you have a leg up on me, but I am very positive about this venture and the market, and I truly wish the best for you in all your future ventures, again welcome to Sacramento!!!

@Keegan MacNichol Do you have a specific area in Sacramento you would like to purchase ?Such as A class or C class? If you haven't seen it already, here is a great post about the neighborhoods.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/621/topics/444774-sacramento-neighborhood-map-and-ratings----finally

@Keegan MacNichol

"Mid-term goal: Develop a business around flipping SFH's.

Long-term goal: Continue to invest in Buy/Hold properties and move into commercial apartments."

That's pretty much my plan as well LOL!

Currently in the middle of the SFH flip in Sacramento. Competition is tough. analyzed about a 100 deals, made offers on 11 and landed 1. Market is pretty strong and there are pockets of neighborhoods that are highly desirable. Good off-market deals are hard to find gold nuggets but are out there. Arm yourself with a good RE agent who are investor friendly. HML are out there as well who specialize in working with flippers.

send me a PM if you want to chat.

@Keegan MacNichol, Congrats on least six doors in Rapid City! Best of luck to you on Sac Town, USA. And thank you for your service!

Looks like we employ a similar strategy for Real Estate investing. And having lived in Rapid City myself, I’m sure we can share some common stories about the town.

I currently have only SFH, but am dying to get into the MFH investing, probably even in Rapid. The last real estate I bought there though was back in 2010. Since then, prices have soared. So what is the latest chatter in town for the direction prices are going? Also, my property manager advised me to keep rent level for another year because of all the apartment complexes that are being built, will that taper off soon?

Sincerely,

Jonathan

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you