Hello I'm New! Need reviews/advice on RE school.

18 Replies

Hello,

I am excited to be a part of the Bigger Pockets community! I am new to Real Estate. I have read a few books and read a little about Real Estate principles in California. I am now moving to Tennessee and would like to take an online RE course and get my real estate license to become an agent but also invest as I learn more and gain confidence.

I would appreciate any suggestions & reviews on online real estate courses.

Any other expertise or advice is very much appreciated!

Thank you!

Kim

@Kim Sparks , Proschools.com is hands down the best online course for real estate in my opinion. I took their online course and passed my exam the first time no problem. It is a very thorough program and uses repetition to help you memorize all you need to know. You can finish the course in about 3 months if you put your mind to it.

The only other advice I have is to sign up with Keller Williams if  you want to have the best training in the business. They are the #1 real estate company in the world right now. What part of Tennessee are you moving to? I may know someone there that can get you a discount on the online school.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the course or KW.

Sergiu

Hello Sergiu!

I appreciate the advice. I've read good things about Keller Williams. I am in the greater Nashville area. I will definitely check out the on line school you recommend and appreciate the help!

Thanks so much!

Kim

@Robert O'Keefe I took my course online because I heard somewhere that people that took the course online were more likely to pass the first time. I do agree that it is more engaging in person and better networking, but some people learn differently. For example, I learn well through repetition. Others may learn better when it's more interactive.

I have confidence you will pass one way or the other.

The key is to study the key-terms and make flash-cards. I believe you are more likely to pass in the person class because you can ask your teacher specific questions and how to study.

I would recommend CLI. That is where I got my training. they do both online and live classes. I would highly recommend the live classes.

If I could do it again I would sign up with Keller Williams. Sadly none of the ones I wanted to work at would accept me. Caldwell is the worst. They straight up rub their agents. I don't see how their agents make any money as the desk fees are sky high as well as the other fees and don't even get me started on their split.

@Kim Sparks If you can, I'd recommend the actual classes and not the online classes. 

If you do go the online route, my wife used real estate express. It's what everyone recommended to us. 

Originally posted by @Wayne Woodson :

I would recommend CLI. That is where I got my training. they do both online and live classes. I would highly recommend the live classes.

If I could do it again I would sign up with Keller Williams. Sadly none of the ones I wanted to work at would accept me. Caldwell is the worst. They straight up rub their agents. I don't see how their agents make any money as the desk fees are sky high as well as the other fees and don't even get me started on their split.

Nice. I'm currently looking for a great school in the Nashville area. Wayne, would you say schooling helped you with your wholesaling career?

Originally posted by @Rozelle Wilson :
Originally posted by @Wayne Woodson:

Nice. I'm currently looking for a great school in the Nashville area. Wayne, would you say schooling helped you with your wholesaling career?

The school of hard knocks helped me with my wholesaling career schooling did not. I was an investor long before I was an agent. The only thing you will learn in the Realtor class is state law and what you can't do as a realtor. I will say having access to the MLS helped me as a wholesaler but that is about it. My advice to anyone who wants to be an investor is to read everything you can, hang around other investors and go out and do it.

Hey Kim,
Great to see your post! I literally just finished my online course a few days ago. I also used Real Estate Express. Planning to take the test sometime next week.

I will say after getting in to the class I understood why some of my other real estate friends/colleagues encouraged me to take the class in person. With a live instructor/teacher there will definitely be more of a chance for them to elaborate on concepts in real time if you have questions. There is just a greater chance of getting knowledge that is “between the lines.” Also, I personally am not a fast reader. I learn better by listening and watching videos. I knew there would be a lot of information, but even with that mindset going in I was still taken a bit off guard by how much there is to take in. This online class did have some extra videos and things like that, but it was 95% reading.

That being said, my experience with Real Estate Express has been great. I signed up for the package with an actual instructor you can call or email which was helpful to get some clarification on some things I had questions about. They also have a progress bar that helps you stay on pace with a target completion date you can set at the beginning. And they did a pretty good job of information repetition to help reinforce what you’ve already learned. I managed to finish the whole 60 hour class portion in the last 4 weeks. You just have to chip away at it every day. And having the quizzes to test/reinforce your knowledge at the end of every unit was very helpful.

So, after all that I would say it depends on your situation as to what to do. If you want to knock it out quickly and have more immediate feedback go with an in person class (I think the main on here in Nashville is CLI). If you need it to be on your schedule, go with an online option like Real Estate Express or another one that was mentioned above.

Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions or want a direct link to the option I chose.

@Tim Bergstrom Thank you for the feedback and advice. I can definitely see the merits of classroom study vs. on line and vice versa. I am not generally a fast reader either. Added to that there are a significant number of terms that I will need to define. I think you are right about working on it everyday if you are doing on line study otherwise, I could see it taking forever.  

Best of luck on passing the test! 

Kim

Welcome @Kim Sparks ! There's a lot of debate as to whether or not investors should or need a license. Really depends on what you're hoping to do in real estate and investing. 

@Matt Motil Thank you! Yes, I've noticed there are definitely strong viewpoints out there on investors needing (or not) a real estate license. I am still learning about investing so I haven't decided on a path just yet. RE is just interesting to me in general though so I am enjoying learning more about it on both sides of the fence. 

Thanks again,

Kim

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you