• Bangor, ME
Votes |
Prenewbie in Greenville, SC interested in house hacking/buy&hold

Joshua Briscoe
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Bangor, ME
Posted May 5 2018, 11:15

Hello BiggerPockets

My name is Joshua Briscoe.  I just moved my family (wife and 3 small boys) back to Greenville South Carolina.  We lived for 8 years in Bangor Maine.  I am a nurse working in a CVICU, but over the past year I have started to become not completely satisfied with healthcare.  By accident I stumbled onto the bigger pockets you tube page and have been soaking up as much information as I can. 

I am eligible for a va loan and would like to get into a house hack or possibly a brr(rrr?). 

My big problem right now is finding a property that I feel  I can afford and/or meets the va loan requirements.

If anyone has any suggestions in my search or is interested in partnering with me in a rental deal please contact me.

Josh

ps Maybe another suggestion is what type of contact info I should be putting out on Biggerpockets?

User Stats

Votes
Kristopher Edwards
  • Easley, SC
Votes |
  • Easley, SC
Replied May 5 2018, 11:57

Joshua,

Let me be the first to welcome you to Bigger Pockets! This is a great resource that I have learned so much from. I highly recommend their podcast, @Brandon Turner’s “Book on Rental Property Investing”, his “Book on Managing Rental Properties”, and @Scott Trench’s book, “Set for Life.” 

I am also in the process of moving back to Greenville, SC after living near Nashville, TN for the past 5 years while in the US Army. I am currently looking at house hack as well with a VA Loan and have even looked at possibly getting a quadplex built.

I would love to meet up sometime and talk anything real estate or bounce ideas off each other! I look forward to speaking with you!

User Stats

Votes
Adam Drummond
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Replied May 5 2018, 13:54

@Joshua Briscoe 

Hey.  I live in Greenville with my family, and involved in a couple investment properties.  Both are near downtown, but in transitioning communities.  Greenville is a very tough market right now for a buyer.  Most of the properties i see that have potential will have multiple offers within 24 hours (if they are listed on the market).   If I can be of any help, please let me know.

Adam 

Realtor / Weichert Realty

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Briscoe
  • Bangor, ME
Votes |
  • Bangor, ME
Replied May 5 2018, 17:26

@Adam Drummond

That's what we have been seeing.  By the time a property pops up on realtor or our agent's site it already has multiple offers.   And, I haven't seen any multifamily properties that make much sense in buying.

User Stats

Votes
Demario Scott
  • North Charleston, SC
Votes |
  • North Charleston, SC
Replied Jun 2 2018, 00:35

Everyone in this discussion is of some military affiliation and live in SC. And it seems that we are all interested in REI a meetup should happen.

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Briscoe
  • Bangor, ME
Votes |
  • Bangor, ME
Replied Jun 11 2018, 09:29

@Demario Scott

@Kristopher Edwards

@Adam Drummond

I think a bunch of va guys getting together is a great idea.  I'm currently under contract on a property, but after I get that all settled I will work on getting something together.  I think maybe August

If someone wants to take the reigns on a get together before I'm able to get to it, please do. 

User Stats

Votes
Kristopher Edwards
  • Easley, SC
Votes |
  • Easley, SC
Replied Jun 11 2018, 14:26

https://www.facebook.com/events/236359280454809/?ti=icl

This is a meet up i am looking to go to here in Greenville.

User Stats

Votes
Demario Scott
  • North Charleston, SC
Votes |
  • North Charleston, SC
Replied Jun 11 2018, 18:20

Im currently deployed but August would be a phenomenal time to give it a go.