CA newbie looking for OOS opportunities!!

9 Replies

Greetings Everyone!

A little about me- My wife and I live and work on the Central Coast of California and purchased our first home about two years ago in San Luis Obispo. We both have great jobs and good income between the two of us. We would ultimately like to end up in Tennessee, where my wife is from and where we met in college. My plan/goal is to build up enough passive income through Real Estate (specifically small multi family units in East TN, but not opposed to SFRs) to quit my current job, move back to TN, and be a full time investor by the year 2025. I plan to do this by reinvesting my profits into more properties and living off of our W2 paychecks. Currently working on networking and building a team of reliable professionals to work with over the coming years.

I have been interested in Real Estate Investing for the past few years, but only recently got the bug and really started getting into it. Every free second I have, I'm listening to podcasts/audio books, reading, or browsing the BP forums. I am specifically focusing on Long Distance REI (shout out to David Greene) and I'm all ears if anyone has any tips/tricks they would like to share.

Stoked to be a part of this awesome community!

John Pearl

@John Pearl hello and welcome to BiggerPockets!

You definitely came to the right place.  You seem to have a very solid plan of action as evidenced by your post.

What I did when starting out (and what I do now) is send out blind offers to owners directly.  That way, interested sellers can call me and we can work on a deal.

It's a numbers game, John.  The more offers you send out, the more interested sellers will contact you, and the more deals you will close.

This one method I discovered has generated me success over and over again.

Happy to help further. Feel free to PM me. Once again, welcome, and I wish you all the best in your REI career!

@John Pearl Talk to some wholesalers and get on their mailing list.  This will give you an idea of the price points and areas that are seeing deal flow.  Also call property management companies in the area and ask where the up and coming rental areas are.

@Alyssa Dyer In all honesty, no progress has been made! I am still very interested in this pursuit, but a few life events have caused me to put the RE investing on hold. I'm still very interested and motivated to get in the game, but I will need to wait at least another 6 months until I'm able to take action. I'm constantly reading, learning, soaking up any information I can. Will update everyone once there's some action! Thanks for reaching out, Alyssa! 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you