New To The REI Out Of Dallas, TX!

7 Replies

" New To The REI World Out Of Dallas, TX"

Hello To All In The Bigger Pockets Community! My Name is Jason Toledo out of the Dallas Fort Worth Texas Metroplex area. I Joined Bigger Pockets in the likes of learning and networking with like minded individuals to make deals and start my journey towards generational wealth. Just turned 31 and My immediate goal is to aquire my first property as a buy and hold Duplex, Triplex or Fourplex, have the property work for me as I work on other deals. Looking to learn from anyone that is willing to teach, as well as help my fellow members in anyway that I can. I believe that helping a fellow man or woman can be very rewarding in the education of any trait or field. Very excited to be a part of this community and grateful to be entering this amazing world that is REI. Reach out if you'd like to chat and share any thoughts, thanks!

@Jason Toledo Welcome to the forums! BP is a great community to learn from and (hopefully) contribute to. 

Make sure to over the podcasts - BP and otherwise - and continue to educate yourself. Best bet: connect with local investors/lenders/brokers to narrow your focus (what type of asset, what sub-market of the metroplex). This will help you gain traction and get results quicker. 

Also, please, avoid the whole guru scam.

@Jason Toledo

Welcome to the BP family! Good to have you here! Here are some recommendations for you:

Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet
Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts
Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing
Check out BP Podcasts: http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/category/podcast/

If you wish to tag someone in the conversation on the forum, type @ followed by their name and then select the name of that person which should appear below the comments box. He or she will be notified of being tagged so that the conversation will continue.

Wishing you the best!

@Omar Khan & @Dmitriy Formichenko Thank You guy's for the great tips. I am definitely getting my full share of knowledge from the site, as well as members such as yourselves pitching in and sharing information. Thank you!

@Jason Toledo Welcome to the wild west. DFW is booming (which doesn't always make it the easiest for investors). Buy and hold is a great strategy right now for beginners if they have a day job. I haven't taken that step yet but plan to this year. I have been flipping cumulatively for just under 3 years.

My advice to new investors:

1) Read and listen as much as you can. BP podcast and eBooks (they are cheap and go with you wherever you are) are the best sources. When you are driving, skip music and the traffic reports and listen to a podcast. When you are at home, don't turn the TV on, instead reach for a book.

2)Put it into action. Don't wait to start out. Use your knowledge to start analyzing properties to get practice. Every book and podcast you listen to should have things you can start doing/using right away. Do them. Don't go on to the next chapter without writing something down that you should be doing the next day.

3)NETWORK. Real estate is a people business. In DFW we have tons of REIA (Real Estate Investors Association) groups or similar. Be wary of the ones that include sales pitches. It will sound so good and so easy but don't do it! Come prepared to share your contact information and follow up with those you meet. Very important to not be afraid to say you are new. This will only make others (the good ones at least) want to help you more.

Hope this helps. If you ever make it out to Fort Worth let me know and we can talk shop over lunch or drinks.

@Ryan Blake I'm definitely going to hold you up to that haha, it's always good to learn from someone that has experienced what it is to do REI. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me. Best Regards

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you