Hello from Cecil County, MD!

8 Replies

Hello everyone,

My name is Shane Christie. I'm a Civil Engineer who just started my career in January. I'm from a small town in Maryland, situated about a hour from Philadelphia and Baltimore.

I've been on bigger pockets for a few months now but finally decided to start getting engaged and trying to connect with people. I figured this would be a starting point. I'm interested in Buy and Hold properties. I've personally been looking near college towns (Salisbury University, University of Delaware, University of Maryland) where there is demand for rentals. I've seen some deals come and go and can't wait to get my hands on one. My only downfall is my crippling student loan debt, so I know I'll need to partner up to get my start.

I can't wait to start this journey and to start talking and learning and helping to everyone I meet on here!

Hi Shane,

I'm in a very similar situation to you, just started my career as a loan office and I've also been watching from the sideline for the past few months. It seems like we have very similar goals in mind so if you want to message me we can talk more about it. I'm excited to meet anyone and everyone I can in the area whose interested in real estate!

Welcome to BP @Shane M Christie . All the best to you as you get started on your real estate journey. 

With regards to your crushing student loan debt...I'd encourage you to list to the BiggerPockets Money Podcast as well as the ChooseFI podcast (in particular episodes 4, 21, 38, and 78)

Hi @Shane M Christie and welcome to BP. It's nice that you know that you are beginning to engage in RE and connect with like me individuals. You have definitely come to the right spot. Just remember one thing, you can't get anywhere with out taking action. And it's great that you have taken that step. Good luck to 

@Shane M Christie Welcome to BP! Student Loans are definitely a struggle, but you can always find a way to invest that will work with your current financial situation. I'd recommend looking into getting involved with a local REIA event or Bigger Pockets meetup (Link: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521-events-and-happenings). Get involved and meet some of the investors working in your area and I'm sure you can find someone that would be willing to partner up with you. In the meantime, be a sponge: listen to as many of the BP Podcasts as possible, there are a lot of great books out there to get you started but here's a quick guide from the BP guys (Link: https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/The-Best-Real-Estate-Books-Ever.pdf). Best of luck to you and happy investing!

@Shane M Christie hello and welcome to BiggerPockets!

You’ve taken a great first step in real estate investment. Do not let that student loan debt stop you from starting your career in real estate investing.

I wish you all the best, Shane.

You are not alone in your real estate ambition.

Hi Shane,  Welcome to BP.  Cecil County is a great place and there are opportunities across the Delaware line as well.  Sounds like you may want to look into house hacking. Like others above I would recommend the BiggerPockets Money podcast to you. Also, you may want to get Scott Trench's book "Set for Life." Best Wishes, Marty

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you