New Member-Columbus, IN

7 Replies

What’s up BP! New member here from the Columbus, Indiana area. I am just getting in to real estate and have been listening to the podcasts for the last couple of months.  I guess I am in more of the learning phase right now, but really eager and excited to find my first deal.

I work in agriculture retail and got interested in real estate through the research I have been doing through the FIRE community. A couple of my hobbies include fishing and motocross.

Do we have any other members from the southern Indiana area? Let me know where you’re from and if you have any suggestions about local meet ups or clubs!

Hey Josh,

Welcome to BP! So glad to hear you're getting value from the quality content on here.

The people are awesome as well. I would suggest setting up keyword alerts (click the bell icon in the top right next to your profile pic). You can set up keyword specific to your area and this way you can be automatically notified anytime someone posts about the areas near you.

I'd also go to the search function and look up people in your area. You can connect with them directly.

Lastly, I'd check BP, FB, LinkedIn, meetup.com and other platforms for local meetups.

Best of luck to you on your journey and feel free to reach out anytime!

Abel

@Josh Heeb welcome to BP! I'm in the same area and at about the exact same point as you in my REI journey.

Totally agree with what @Abel Curiel says becuase that's the only way I knew about this thread, through notifications. 

I don't know about any local meet ups but have seen one in Nashville and a few up in Indy, let me know if you find anything!

Thanks for the tips! When I search Columbus, I get like 200 pages of people and most of them are from Ohio. It’s a larger city than Indiana and that’s a lot of people to sort through. The keyword function is amazing though.

Hi Josh! I grew up here and am a local real estate investor here in Columbus - I have 20 units across the town. Do you have any specific questions? Regardless, if you ever want to sit down and talk some real estate then I'd love to meet you. Also, I do a monthly lunch with some other local investors, with varying professions (realtors, lawyers, engineers, etc.), so you could come to that and pick all of our brains if you'd like. 

Brad Grayson is in Columbus IN, and he does meetups and presents nationally at different real estate investing conferences.. He's a really good guy... I don't think I can give his website on here... GRAYSON PROPerties would be what you need to look up, and maybe use those capitalized letters for a COMmercial domain name.. bahaha  I am sure I will get yanked for that.. haha

@William Nelson I would love to meet up sometime! I grew up in Columbus as well, so I know the area from a demographic and growth perspective.  I guess I would like to know more about the business side, rental rates, legal perspectives, things that a new investor doesn’t think about or understand on the first few deals.

@Lee Smith I have heard that name before, I see it all the time locally on the MLS portals. I will check the website out. Thanks!

Hello! @Josh Heeb

Welcome to BP, and congratulations on making the decision to invest in your future via real estate.

I have written a few blog posts that may help you get started here on BP, and with your investing. Please click on the links, give them a read, and share your thoughts in the comments.

First is a post that I feel will help not get overwhelmed with the amount of info that is here on BP:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52761-the-simple-guide-to-getting-started-on-bp

The second is a post that will help get you focused with your real estate investing goals:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52743-im-new-to-bp-any-advice-would-be-appriciated

The last one is a post that will help you choose an “investor friendly” real estate agent.

There are many agents out there, but it’s important to choose the right one.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52724-im-new-to-investing-how-do-i-find-an-investor-friendly-agent

I love answering questions if you have any! Good Luck :)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you