Kevin's new to BP from Los Angeles

2 Replies

Hey there BP, I'm brand new to site . Looking to learn and network all I can .
So some basic bullet points about me ..

. 34 years old , sole provider for my family which consist of my wife and out son ( 17 months old ). 

. Own one duplex that doesnt cash flow but suppliments my living expenses . 

. Owned the property about 4 years , has over 200k in equity , only 100k possibly available in heloc . 75%

. I currenty just save in savings account that compounds at 1.8 percent and dump 15% of income into 401k plus a 5% match from employer . Very hour intensive career that doesn't allow lots of free time . 

. I pay an additinal 550 a month towards principal of my mortgage 

. I know I'm not making my money work for me or being creative by any means to achieve real financial freedom , time for change 

. So dun dun I joined BP to learn learn learn . 

Welcome to BP @Kevin Barnard ! You will find a lot of resources and options through the site. 

The duplex you own - you said it does not cash flow, but supplements your expenses? How so?

What is the rationale for paying an extra $550/month to your principal on your mortgage? Do you think through real estate investing, you can use those funds to facilitate a larger return? 

@Dan Barli  Thank you , I purchased for $388k 3% down fha . Payment was $2780 Refinanced later to 4% fixed 30yr . I live in the 1 bedroom 1 bath and rent the 2 bedroom 1 bath . Mortgage is down to $2350 currently . Tenant pays below market at $1650 . I did the math and at top rents I could move out and unit would cash flow . However I'm very nervous about that without having a new investment in place and place to live . 

Netting $300 after expenses and reserves wouldn't offset renting in Los Angeles . My thought in paying down mortgage is when house is free in clear should cash flow $3000 or more monthly . 

So paying to down mortgage faster in my initial thought process did two things . 

1. Increases my leverage point for future investments 

2. Creates retirement income if I can say pay off in 15-20 years rather than 30. 

However after watching pod cast and browsing forums I don't really think that is the best option anymore.  I feel I need to get creative and take the additional money I have to spend and invest in new investments . 

I am new to this and feel very intimidated by the so cal market prices .  I really need to get creative to invest here . I'm very Leary of investing in places I know nothing about.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you