New member and my background

1 Reply

Hello everyone

Updated about 2 years ago

Hello all, I would like to introduce myself, and give you a little bit of my background, on where I started and what happened. Please excuse me, if I get some of the time lines wrong, as it was quite a blur, you will soon understand. 2009, 21 years of age, my aunt had passed away and I inherited some money, which I foolishly spent on things of none importance, with the remainder of the money, I put a 20% down payment on a house, and moved out of my parents, I had no real plan in life, I was working as a laborer for a construction company making $17.00 an hour, went in on the mortgage knowing well, that money would be tight. My girlfriend of 5 years who lived in Indiana 8 hours away, moved in with me. I figured together we would be able to make it work with no problem. This was not the case, I had no knowledge of how to handle finances and quickly started my descent into my financial crisis, which consumed me faster than quicksand. During this time, my fathers Alzheimer's was rapidly progressing, and my mother was in and out of the hospital in poor health. I developed a drinking habit that would last 8 years. My girlfriend left, 1 year later my parents passed, away, and it got really dark, my house was foreclosed on, I had lost everything. I rented an apartment and went through the motions of going to work, and coming home to drink, sometimes I would just decide to stay home and drink all day, I hated my life. Then after years and years of being on rock bottom, I decided to get up and start climbing out.  My goal was to stop drinking, so instead of going to AA, which I had tried before, and often would feel more depressed when I came out then when I went in, I decided to tell myself that I didn't have a drinking problem, the minutes of being sober turned into hours, the hours turned into days, the days turned into months. 4 months sober, but I was still depressed, so I started searching for answers, I needed to rewire my brain for happiness. I didn't really know it, but self development became a new goal, and in that goal grew many goals, 6 months of working on myself, I accomplished much, I paid all my debts, I fixed the old house and rented it out, I purchased a car, I saved money. I worked on myself none stop, even when I was sleeping I would listen to subliminal rain sounds for whatever goal I was shooting for, which most often is happiness. To make a long story short, I regret nothing that happened, it all taught me valuable lessons. And I learned much about myself, and I am still learning everyday. I've closed on a multi family home last week, and will be moving out of my apartment to live there, and rent out the rest of the units. Originally when I made this goal in 2018, I was going to buy a car in 2020 and a house in 2021, I now have both! I found that my most powerful tool is my MIND. In the book Laws of Success, it states you reap what you sow, if we want success, we all better get our own hands dirty and start planting the seeds of success for our future. When you change, your world will change. Life is great, and the future is bright.    The reason I am telling all this, is because all of your stories motivated me, and maybe there is someone out there with a similar story to mine, who needs motivation, and I hope this text finds you. I look forward to meeting you all. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you