Newbie real estate investing in Atlanta, GA

8 Replies

Hey everyone!  My name is Alan Matthews and I'm a software engineer at a SaaS company here in Atlanta, GA.  After reading Rich Dad Poor Dad, my entire perspective on finance and earning income changed dramatically.  I've been looking to get more involved in real estate and have been listening to the BP podcasts daily.  I've also bought a few of the BP produced books by J Scott and Brandon Turner and I'm hungry to learn more.  No properties yet, but wanting to fix that soon!

For now flipping houses excites me the most, but I'm open to other areas like rental properties or wholesaling.  Any thoughts on next steps?  Get my real estate agent's license?  Focus on looking at tons of deals?  Are there any meetups in the metro/ITP area that I should be going to?

Look forward to networking with everyone!

@Alan Matthews ,

Welcome to Bigger Pockets.

Below are a few tips for new members.

Tip # 1: Check out the Start Here page

Tip # 2: How to Use @Mentions on BiggerPockets

Tip # 3: Votes

Tip # 4: Setting up Keyword Alerts

Tip # 5: Check out BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginner's Guide

Tip # 6: If you want information on Buy and Hold investing check out the Beginners Guide to Buy and Hold.

Tip # 7: 25 Tips for Real Estate Success

BP Webinars

Tip # 9: Check out events and happenings around you by clicking on the link

Check out the Georgia Real Estate Investors Association for networking and education. They have many monthly educational meetings.

Good luck and let me know if I can be of assistance.

Welcome @Alan Matthews

There's a BiggerPockets inspired meet up in Buckhead once a month. I believe @Vincent Crane can you give you the info on how to get plugged into that. 

Beyond that my advice would be to analyze deals daily and get really comfortable with the numbers of the different scenarios as well as figuring out your financing approach. 

Welcome Alan!  I read Rich Dad Poor Dad also and it changed my whole perspective.   I wish I had read it in my 20's and I am tryi g to get my kids to read it so they don't fall into the rat race trap!

Welcome Alan!  I read Rich Dad Poor Dad also and it changed my whole perspective.   I wish I had read it in my 20's and I am trying to get my kids to read it so they don't fall into the rat race trap!

@Sara C. Thanks for the info on the meet up, I'll definitely try and make the next one. In terms of analyzing deals, are sites like Zillow and Trulia acceptable alternatives to the MLS in terms of running realistic numbers for calculating ARV?

@Craig Reed Agreed.  I wish someone had given me Rich Dad Poor Dad years ago.  

@Alan Matthews

Hey Alan,

Welcome. I think the first thing you need to figure out if what niche you want to focus on ( Flipping, wholesaling, etc). Once this is determined, focus on increasing your knowledge in this area. Learn all you can. Your first couple of deals be completely hands on, get a good understanding for how things work.

A lot of investors get caught up working in their business instead of building a business. Always keep that in mind. There are tons of people who make real Estate their career ( agents, contractors, title companies, etc). Leverage them. Creating a solid trustworthy team will help your investing business run smooth. Always ask for help when you need it and remember you’re not alone. There are millions of real estate investors, and BP is a great source of information.

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat further.

Happy Investing!

Canesha

@Alan Matthews I think Zillow can do ok for ARV as long as you ignore Zestimates and focus on homes that have sold in the last 180 days. That should give you a pretty accurate picture.

Also, agree with @Canesha Edwards about figuring out your niche! It may change, but at least having a more narrow focus for your first project will likely help you move forward faster. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you