New Member Looking to Learn now and Buy Next Year Brentwood, TN

2 Replies

Hello,

I am new to Brentwood and came here after passing the CPA exams to work for a local firm. I am learning as much as I can about real estate investing through the webinars and I am currently reading 'The Book on Investing in Real Estate with No (and Low) Money Down.'

My goal is to buy a multi-family residence (duplex, triplex, or fourplex) and do a house hacking strategy in the next year. I will probably be using a FHA loan since I am low on cash after paying off graduate school (debt free!), but in the meantime I will be saving as much as I can for a downpayment and other costs/repairs that are necessary when I close.

Does anyone have any advice for a new investor looking to do a house hack in the Nashville/Antioch area? Also, I would like to network with anyone who is interested and learn from your experience. Thank you all for any advice/help.

@Matthew Cervoni Welcome to Nashville! I think the house hacking idea is a good one. I wish I would have done that when I first got out of school. I also like to hear you're looking around the Antioch area. I'm from Nashville. I grew up close to the Antioch area. You'll find a lot of native Nashvillians who don't want anything to do with Antioch because of how it was many years ago. Short, general history lesson. Antioch was a great place for many years until Cool Springs and Opryland took all the business away. Antioch then turned into a place you didn't want to be. The mall struggled, crime was high. Was sad to see. Now with the mall space being used by the Preds, a library and Nashville State it's really cleaned up. I also believe the Freeland guy, of Freeland Chevrolet, bought that space. I expect him to do some good things with it. He's been in Antioch for longer than I've been alive. Lots of businesses have invested in Antioch or are soon to be (LKQ, CHS, Asurion, Tanger Outlets coming soon, etc.).

I also manage quite a few rentals in Antioch. Hopefully Antioch keeps trending up. 

Good luck to you! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Thank you @Keith Smith for sharing the information on Antioch. Being new to this area, little things like that are so helpful. I will definitely keep you in the loop of what I am doing, and I joined REIN last night if you are familiar with the group. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you