New Investor in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/Saint Paul)

21 Replies

Hi everyone. My name is Janel. I live in a northwest suburb of Minneapolis. After spending several years of being a dedicated W2 employee (in engineering and marketing) and a disciplined saver, I want to apply my work ethic and self-discipline to an endeavor that will not only provide me financial freedom, but will also help others. I'm confident I've found that in real estate investing. I'm a total newbie and don't yet have any deals, but my goal is to learn and master wholesaling and to invest in cash flowing multi-family properties in the Saint Paul & Minneapolis areas, and in the Houston and Atlanta areas as well. I've been focused on getting educated by reading several books, listening to podcasts, attending webinars (most of which have been led by Brandon Turner), attending MNREIA meetings and local meetups, and spending many hours on the BP website reading forum posts, articles, and the "Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing". I've already connected with some BP members via this website and look forward to connecting with more of you! Thank you for all I've already learned from your posts and articles. I know it is now time to act! I'm looking forward to learning more and to becoming an active member of the BP community on my way to financial freedom.

Thank you, Jordan. I attended your “How to Buy Small Apartments” meetup in July and found your advice and your real-world examples helpful. Small apartments are exactly where I want to start. Now I need to move past the “want it” phase to the “do it” phase!

Hey @Janel York there is a REI conference Fri & Sat. @Jordan Moorhead is one of the hosts.  It will be a great place to learn & network.  I don't think I can post the website but you can find it by searching Northstar Real Estate Conference. 

@Janel York welcome to BP and great to meet another local investor. Please reach out for any questions real estate and hopefully meet at other events down the line!

Bjorik

Thank you @Alyssa Strom. I just visited your Side by Side Realty website. Thank you for sharing your story of how you got started. And thank you especially for the reminder that it's never too late to get started!

Hi Janel- I'm in a similar position as you! My husband and I are doing a live-in flip in Highland Park right now. Hoping to sell in the spring or summer next year and get into flips and buy and holds. 

Originally posted by @Janel York :

Thank you for the welcome @Andrew Syrios. I was in your city recently - drove through K.C. during a road trip. 

If you didn't stop for some barbecue then you made a serious mistake!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you