• Realtor
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
New member from Kansas City, MO

Chris Wilkerson
  • Realtor
  • Kansas City, MO
Posted Oct 30 2019, 17:06
Hi there everyone. My name is Chris and I have been living in Kansas City, MO for almost five years. I joined Bigger Pockets about two years ago and have been intermittently reading through the forums to build my RE industry knowledge. I started off my professional life as a commissioned officer in the Marine Corps and then transitioned into a director level position with a large corporate healthcare company. After nearly 10 years of military & corporate life, I have decided I want to focus my efforts full-time RE and finally begin taking some action on everything I have been learning. I joined my local RE investor meeting group three months ago and have began networking with other investors and making contacts with possible future "power team" members (title company managers, attorneys, RE agents, contractors, etc). Similar to many newbies, I am interested in wholesaling in order to gain more knowledge and confidence and will be focusing on marketing to a few specific categories of "motivated sellers". I am also interested in fix and flips and ultimately building a rental portfolio. If there is anyone in the KC metro reading this or anyone looking for deals in the KC area I'd love to connect! Thank you.
Account Closed
  • Contractor
  • Raleigh-Durham, NC
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Raleigh-Durham, NC
Replied Oct 30 2019, 17:53

Are you guys able to list on mls prior to ownership in Kansas City? 

User Stats

Votes
Caleb Brown
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Replied Oct 30 2019, 18:06

@Chris Wilkerson Congratulations on getting started! I am an agent in the area and I'm always looking to connect with whole sellers my clients are either looking for BRRR opportunities 50K-150K(possibly more). Also looking for multi family 2 units up to large apartment buildings no specific price, COC typically 10%+. If you find these let me know.

@Keith Murray I am an agent in Kansas City I don’t think you can list prior to ownership.

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Dan Krupa
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Oct 30 2019, 18:12

@Chris Wilkerson - welcome. I was an Army officer for 13 years, so thank you for your service.  I always think wholesalers should do some rehab first. Most are terrible at estimating rehab cost, sorry but not sorry wholesalers - it's true.  If you need advice feel free to PM me. We have flipped 50+ houses, have rentals, PM, have a brokerage, etc... We know a thing or two about residential stuff. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 30 2019, 22:35

Hey @Chris Wilkerson, great post you got here. Im currently in the military (ARMY) and currently surving a 9 month deployment, Im coming back home in less than a month (hopefully) and I too have been focusing on RE investing and wholesaling specifically is something im very intrested in doing when I get back home. I would love to chat with you and talk to you more about wholesaling. 

@Caleb Brown, @Dan Krupa I would love to chat with you two as well and possibly make something work with you guys. A rising tide lifts all boats.

Hope to talk to you soon guys. 

User Stats

Votes
Lee Ripma
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Prairie Village, KS
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Prairie Village, KS
Replied Oct 30 2019, 23:58

@Chris Wilkerson

There are other ways to get involved in RE besides wholesaling. You could do a flip, buy a rental property, buy a rental and rehab it. You could also go passive in someone else’s deal and ride along seeing what they do. I often see wholesaling pushed as a way to get started but if you’re doing your own marketing why not just take down a deal? To date I’ve never wholesaled anything. I’ve bought and rehabbed rentals, raised money for syndications, done development deals, and represented buyers as an agent. Just want to put it out there that you don’t have to wholesale!

User Stats

Votes
Tato Corcoran
  • Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Nov 1 2019, 14:30

@Lee Ripma I checked out your site -- you're doing really interesting things! Question -- as soon as your rehabs are finished, do you refi and pull your money out to recycle for your next deals?

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Syrios
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
ModeratorReplied Nov 1 2019, 14:37

Welcome to BiggerPockets Chris (and KC investing) and best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Lee Ripma
Pro Member
  • Prairie Village, KS
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Prairie Village, KS
Replied Nov 1 2019, 14:48

@Tato Corcoran. I need to update that website with more before and afters. Yes, I do refi and use the cash to buy new projects. 

User Stats

Votes
Tato Corcoran
  • Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Nov 1 2019, 14:57

@Lee Ripma I aspire to hold the portfolio you do. :) Thanks for being an inspiration -- especially for young girls like me! I just bought my first REI in Milwaukee and am rapidly working to establish a plan for how to move forward and acquire more.

User Stats

Votes
Lee Ripma
Pro Member
  • Prairie Village, KS
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Prairie Village, KS
Replied Nov 1 2019, 18:17

@Tato Corcoran

I’m flattered you’d be inspired by me. I started with a little money and no knowledge less than 3 years ago. Last month I quit my day job to go into RE full time (I do development in LA now). Things start small but you’ll be amazed at how much you can learn quickly and how things really start to snowball. After at least a year (some say 2) you can start selling and trading up. My my opinion equity is what allow you to do this. Anyway, you already did the hardest thing which is the first one!

User Stats

Votes
Chad Lundquist
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Nov 2 2019, 00:42

Hi Chris. First of thank you for your service. My youngest brother is in the AF and proudly serves our country.

I'm in the Kansas City area and have been investing in RE (Buy & Hold rentals) for about 7 years now and am always looking to connect with other RE investors in the area. I have a small portfolio (3 SFH's), but am looking to grow it over the next few years and would love to connect sometime. PM me if you'd like to get together and talk strategies, opportunities or whatever RE related.

Chad

User Stats

Votes
Anita Parsa
  • Kansas City area
Votes |
  • Kansas City area
Replied Nov 2 2019, 07:11

Hi, Chris.   I am also from the Kansas City area (KS side) and looking to start my real estate investing portfolio. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.