• New to Real Estate
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
Newbie from Kansas City, MO

Carissa Pentimone
  • New to Real Estate
  • Kansas City, MO
Posted Aug 1 2020, 19:37

Hello BiggerPockets Community! I am a Kansas City local and am new to real estate. I am excited to be here! I have been interested in real estate for several years when I saw my dad doing it. However, a couple months ago I was talking with some friends from out of state and was hearing all they were doing in flipping and renting, and I decided to go for it. They told me about BiggerPockets, so I started listening to the podcasts on my drive to and from work (I work at an Amazon warehouse currently). Right now, I am working on obtaining my MO (and then KS) Real Estate license, reading tons of books (I have a very long book list), listening to the podcast, doing some online real estate investing training, and doing lots of my own research. I am looking to start with some flips and then get into rentals as well. 

I look forward to learning from y'all! I am looking to get to know local investors, agents, etc... so please reach out! 

User Stats

Votes
Alex Olson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City Metro
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City Metro
Replied Aug 2 2020, 07:19
Originally posted by @Carissa Pentimone:

Hello BiggerPockets Community! I am a Kansas City local and am new to real estate. I am excited to be here! I have been interested in real estate for several years when I saw my dad doing it. However, a couple months ago I was talking with some friends from out of state and was hearing all they were doing in flipping and renting, and I decided to go for it. They told me about BiggerPockets, so I started listening to the podcasts on my drive to and from work (I work at an Amazon warehouse currently). Right now, I am working on obtaining my MO (and then KS) Real Estate license, reading tons of books (I have a very long book list), listening to the podcast, doing some online real estate investing training, and doing lots of my own research. I am looking to start with some flips and then get into rentals as well. 

I look forward to learning from y'all! I am looking to get to know local investors, agents, etc... so please reach out! 

Welcome to the community! And welcome to KC investing. Happy to help anytime you need it. What agency are you going with?

Xchange CRE - 1031 Exchange RE Brokerage Logo

User Stats

Votes
Rich Kniss
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Aug 2 2020, 08:06

@Carissa Pentimone, welcome to BP and the wonderful world of real estate investing. It sounds like you are doing all the right things. I'd also try to get to a few of the many meetups in town (virtual or otherwise). Start running the numbers on some properties you see for practice, so you know what a good deal looks like. Happy to answer any questions you may have.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Carissa Pentimone
  • New to Real Estate
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Aug 4 2020, 19:24

@Alex Olson Thank you! I am hoping to go with Platinum Realty, but may have to start somewhere else to gain some experience first. Do you have any advice on what agency I should go with?

User Stats

Votes
Carissa Pentimone
  • New to Real Estate
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Aug 4 2020, 19:25

@Rich Kniss Thank you for the welcome and advice. I will definitely look into going to meetings here in KC as well as running some numbers on properties.

User Stats

Votes
Alex Olson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City Metro
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City Metro
Replied Aug 5 2020, 10:21

@Alex Olson Thank you! I am hoping to go with Platinum Realty, but may have to start somewhere else to gain some experience first. Do you have any advice on what agency I should go with?

Best advice I can give is to find a good mentor. Make sure your broker has a good mentor for you - even if you have to split commission with them for 6-12 months, it is worth it in what and who you learn from. 

User Stats

Votes
Carissa Pentimone
  • New to Real Estate
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Aug 8 2020, 18:49

@Alex Olson Thank you! How do you suggest finding a mentor? One thing in this all that intimidates me is networking - meeting people, knowing the right questions to ask, etc, etc... May I ask, what agency are you with? Why did you choose that agency?

User Stats

Votes
Dmitriy Fomichenko
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Solo 401k Expert
  • Anaheim Hills, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Solo 401k Expert
  • Anaheim Hills, CA
Replied Aug 8 2020, 21:45

@Carissa Pentimone

Welcome to the BP family, you came to the right place to learn all about real estate investing!

Read Beginner’s Guide to help you get started: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing

Best of luck here at BP Nation.

User Stats

Votes
Alex Olson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City Metro
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City Metro
Replied Aug 9 2020, 07:03

@Alex Olson Thank you! How do you suggest finding a mentor? One thing in this all that intimidates me is networking - meeting people, knowing the right questions to ask, etc, etc... May I ask, what agency are you with? Why did you choose that agency?

Clemons Real Estate is who I selected because they focus on commercial and large apartment buildings which is what I wanted. Networking is hard but you can do it through linkedin, bp, Facebook, Instagram etc...finding a mentor is hard to. 

User Stats

Votes
Bryan Noth
  • Realtor and Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor and Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Aug 9 2020, 10:23

Welcome to BiggerPockets @Carissa Pentimone!