New to Real Estate · Matsuyama, Japan · Member since 2020 · 26 posts · 17 votes
Hi everyone,
I'm originally from the US, but I'm currently living in Japan and want to get started in real estate investing. I picked up a copy of David Greene's "Long-Distance Real Estate Investing", but I was also wondering if anyone had any advice or experience with regards to investing out of the country that might not be covered in the book. I'm interested in investing in single-family homes around the Dallas-Fort Worth area to start. I would appreciate any advice anyone could give. Also, looking to connect and possibly figure out ways to help each other out.
Investor · Kusatsu, Shiga · Member since 2015 · 147 posts · 87 votes
5y
Hi John, As John Rankin pointed out, I have been living in Japan for 14 years and own about 50 units directly in the States. I was on the BP Money Podcast recently and that will probably give you some things to think about. The key here is finding a team. I like to start with a property manager rather than a realtor as David Green suggests in his book. I find that they are much more objective. I have also found good success teaming up with locals. One opportunity that we have right now is that many local real estate meetups are online. So, you can make connections even while living in Japan. Finally, consider passive investing in syndications and funds. That is one great way to get into real estate investing without some of the hassles of active ownership.
If you're interested in investing in Japan, I would recommend Ziv Nakajima-Magen's podcast about Japanese real estate.
Real Estate Broker · Salt Lake City & Oklahoma City · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y
Hi @Justin Woodard, I love your idea! While I was abroad I was keen on investing but I wasn't aware of a network of people who knew it was possible. A few conversations with "professionals" quickly led to an assumption that it wasn't. . . . WRONG!
I think two keys here are:
Be crystal clear about your buying criteria (what makes a deal a win for you?)
Work with people who you feel comfortable carrying a load with you.
One of the biggest complications to your location is time and timing, and the foremost way I see people thriving in this context is through relationships that can allow an agent or partner stateside to "run fast in your authority" once they understand your criteria and you have established trust.
CPA · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2016 · 413 posts · 258 votes
5y
@Justin Woodard - Most of David Greene's Long-Distance Real Estate Investing book will apply. Some extra things to consider are the timing issues. It will take a lot longer to get things done while you're overseas. Texas allows online notarizing which will help speed things up for you. However, electronic signatures might not be valid in all states. If you want to know specifically whether the signatures on the documents you're signing or having notarized will be recognized in another state, speak with an attorney in that state. Additionally, you might want to check in with lenders and title underwriters first to ensure they will recognize the remote online notarization and electronic signatures. Also, finding financing could take some extra time too, but doable. So like what @Will Fraser said, timing could be the biggest issue as long as you have a good team. This would be much harder if you were a Foreign National.
Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2014 · 42 posts · 14 votes
5y
Hi Justin,
I'm not sure I have what you're interested in, but I just wanted to say you're living my dream living in Japan. I've been there twice and loved it. I could see myself living there for 3-4 months. Just have to convince my wife. What made you take the plunge. Do you enjoy it. What's the best and worst part of living there. Where in Japan are you. Do you speak the language. On the business side, I invest in distressed second mortgages on a nationwide basis. I create funds for people to invest in and I also have an academy that teaches you how to invest yourself. Domo Arigato!
New to Real Estate · Matsuyama, Japan · Member since 2020 · 26 posts · 17 votes
5y
Thanks for the advice Will and Zev. The timing of everything does seem a little more difficult but definitely manageable with a solid system. I'll keep those things in mind as I'm building my team.
New to Real Estate · Matsuyama, Japan · Member since 2020 · 26 posts · 17 votes
5y
Hi Sherman,
It's always great to meet someone else who is interested in Japan. I'm actually teaching English around Matsuyama on the smallest of the four main islands Shikoku. I've always been interested in Asia, and I knew I wanted the chance to travel and experience life in Asia, so I applied for a teaching position in Japan. The best parts are definitely the food as well as going to various festivals. I could live in Japan just for the food. I would say I'm conversational in Japanese too.
If I'm ever in the market for distressed second mortgages I'll definitely reach out to you.
Real Estate Broker · Salt Lake City & Oklahoma City · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y
That's an incredible story to hear about your journey in Asia! I lived somewhat nearby for a chunk of time and it is a substantial upgrade to many areas of life!
Real Estate Agent · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2019 · 60 posts · 40 votes
5y
Hi Justin, check out @Daniel Mills podcast he did recently on the BP Money Podcast. He currently lives in Japan and would be an excellent resource. I used to live in Japan for 6 years and definitely miss the food!!
Investor · Kusatsu, Shiga · Member since 2015 · 147 posts · 87 votes
5y
Hi John, As John Rankin pointed out, I have been living in Japan for 14 years and own about 50 units directly in the States. I was on the BP Money Podcast recently and that will probably give you some things to think about. The key here is finding a team. I like to start with a property manager rather than a realtor as David Green suggests in his book. I find that they are much more objective. I have also found good success teaming up with locals. One opportunity that we have right now is that many local real estate meetups are online. So, you can make connections even while living in Japan. Finally, consider passive investing in syndications and funds. That is one great way to get into real estate investing without some of the hassles of active ownership.
If you're interested in investing in Japan, I would recommend Ziv Nakajima-Magen's podcast about Japanese real estate.
New to Real Estate · Matsuyama, Japan · Member since 2020 · 26 posts · 17 votes
5y
Hi John, I started listening to the BP Money Podcast recently, but I must have missed this episode. Thanks for the advice I'll definitely check it out.
Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2021 · 8 posts · 5 votes
5y
Hello Justin. Nice to meet you. I actually don't have any advice, as I am just starting out as well. But I saw you live in Japan so I wanted to reach out and say hello from Tokyo.
It's great that you're keen on making it work long distance. I invest in the US from Japan, and have done so solo and with partners, including the now famous @Daniel Mills.
I'd love to chat on the phone/vid chat sometime to hear your thoughts - I haven't read Mr. Greene's book, but from what I've heard on the podcast, the principles he describes for out-of-state investors apply almost universally to out-of-country investors. Of course, I'm happy to share any of my experiences you think might be helpful.
If you're in Tokyo, you might look into the monthly face-to-face BiggerPockets meetup, information for which you should be able to find on the Meetups app. I attended frequently when I lived in Tokyo, and always found it productive.