• Investor
  • New Kensington, PA
Votes |
Hello from Pittsburgh..

Yos W.
  • Investor
  • New Kensington, PA
Posted Jul 23 2013, 12:18

Signup last week after stumbling upon BP.. been reading great articles and posts here.. *speaking of brain overload* :)

Completely new to RE investing and wanted to start with Single home rental property or a condo for student but still taking my time to educate myself before jumping in.

For all this time, I thought that Pittsburgh is quite bad for RE market, considering most houses don't appreciate that much.. but then today Yahoo posted that Pittsburgh is #4 in Flippers market!!

a little bit about myself:
- Graduated from Duquesne University (class of 98 - business major)
- working full time in IT field
- working part time as wedding photographer
- married to my beautiful wife, blessed with a 3 y.o son.

a couple quick questions to start with:

1. I'm wondering about the capital needed to purchase my 1st rental property,
can I refinance the home I stayed in (50K left in mortgage) instead of a HELOC? how much will the bank let me refinance?

2. I'm quite handy with tools, but never really make a major DIY project like tearing up a wall (but I could replace toilet/sink, put tile flooring, etc) - how important is the ability to fix almost everything in a rental place? most contractors I have contacted in the past are either: good work but very expensive or affordable but sub-par work... I'm afraid if I get into a terrible fixer-upper, I will spend a lot of $ fixing them due to my inexperience.

3. does an LLC be necessary for the 1st rental property?

4. Anyone from Pittsburgh with exposure to buying sheriff' sale willing to share info with me? :)

I have more questions, but I figure I introduce myself first (and do more research in the forum) before bombarding away with repeated questions.

Cheers!

Loading replies...