Hungry New Investor recently graduated from Temple University

Hungry New Investor recently graduated from Temple University

Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 4 votes

Hi everyone! My name is Matt Mulrenan I recently graduated from Temple University in Philadelphia. I am starting my career at IBM in New York this August. I am looking to purchase one or more properties within the next two years. I am unsure how many properties I should consider. I have a fair amount of savings I can put into a down payment. I am familiar with the Philadelphia market because of my time at Temple. I am looking for advice, opinions or anything in-between! Would love to develop a mentee mentor relationship

I am still learning the best way to communicate on this website. So, in the meantime here is my LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ma...

4Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Blake ParkBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2020 · 126 posts · 121 votes
5y

@Matthew Mulrenan I would say you are on the right track! Philadelphia is a good market. If you decide to look outside of Philadelphia I would check out Columbus Ohio.  

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wholesaler · Philadelphia · Member since 2020 · 45 posts · 72 votes
    5y

    @Matthew Mulrenan Hey Matt, congrats on getting started... As exciting as it is to immediately think scale, there can often be problems/unknown factors that arise with the first few properties. I would start with buying one and focus on ironing out any kinks in your system. Are you looking for flips or rentals? And do you have a team (contractors, lenders, agents, etc.) or are you looking to make some connections?

    I'm a licensed agent but I've been primarily wholesaling for the last year or so. I also work with many lenders in the area and have a few close relationships with contractors. Let me know if/how I can help! 

    All the best, 

    Louise 

  • Blake ParkBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2020 · 126 posts · 121 votes
    5y

    @Matthew Mulrenan I would say you are on the right track! Philadelphia is a good market. If you decide to look outside of Philadelphia I would check out Columbus Ohio.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Matthew Mulrenan:

    Hi everyone! My name is Matt Mulrenan I recently graduated from Temple University in Philadelphia. I am starting my career at IBM in New York this August. I am looking to purchase one or more properties within the next two years. I am unsure how many properties I should consider. I have a fair amount of savings I can put into a down payment. I am familiar with the Philadelphia market because of my time at Temple. I am looking for advice, opinions or anything in-between! Would love to develop a mentee mentor relationship

    I am still learning the best way to communicate on this website. So, in the meantime here is my LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ma...

     Congrats! If you are working in NYC then I imagine you'll have a pretty w2 to show lenders, which some will allow college to account for years of work, so you could be looking at a sizable lendable amount. My advice would be to figure out what you want 30 years from now, then based on that, pick a market, dive in, find your team, and start investing.

  • Julio GonzalezPro Member
    Specialist · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets, Matthew! This is a great place to learn and to connect with people! 

  • Justin WindhamPro Member
    Banker · Nationwide · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Matthew Mulrenan

    It’s nice to have you here!

    This is a great forum with very knowledgeable members that will help to guide you in the right direction, whether that is real estate sales, wholesaling, flipping, rentals, lending, self-directed IRA and Solo 401k investing, or tax and legal guidance. You will be able to share your story and receive plenty of helpful feedback from experienced members.

    I really like the alerts feature that can quickly guide you to current topics that may be of interest: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts


    There are a few self-contained guides that you can access here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/guides

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 618 posts · 430 votes
    5y

    Like others above said, figure out if you want to flip/buy and hold/etc and go from there. I wouldn't focus on much past the first property personally. You will learn a plethora of information from the first. 

    Then I would figure out what your budget it and what areas of Philly you are looking to buy in. That will help determine what areas/types of properties you can buy in those specific neighborhoods.  Since as you know there's a big difference for on campus properties vs 4 blocks away for example.

    -Eric 

  • Real Estate Broker · Forney, TX · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 399 votes
    5y

    Welcome to the BP community @Matthew Mulrenan!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.