Connecticut Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum

User Stats

Votes
Paul Stansel
Votes |
Any Tolland County groups?

Paul Stansel
Posted Jan 16 2021, 06:34

Hey all, I'm new to this so forgive me if my terminology isn't great. We are looking for our first investment property in the Tolland County area, especially in/close to Vernon (where we live). I'd like to talk to other owners in the area because I know there are absolutely some areas that need to be avoided. The problem is of course that most of the multi-families for sale that I've found are in those areas :). I've seen a lot of activity and chatter about the coast (New Haven, Bridgeport, etc) and obviously around places like Storrs but not so much for my general area. Is there any "local" REI group that meets where I might be able to learn? Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Scott Hollister
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Connecticut
Votes |
  • Connecticut
Replied Jan 16 2021, 06:43

Hello Paul, I co-host the central ct meet up. Paused during covid this past year. Let’s jump on a call to see if I can help. 

User Stats

Votes
Paul Stansel
Votes |
Replied Jan 16 2021, 15:28

Thanks Scott I will!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Natasha Dillon
  • New York
Votes |
  • New York
Replied Jan 19 2021, 10:52

Hi, curious why Tolland? (bc you are close or another reason?)

User Stats

Votes
Paul Stansel
Votes |
Replied Jan 19 2021, 11:58

Yes... personal closeness and some family reasons. Ultimately some of my renters may be my kids so I wanted them to have a shorter commute to jobs. Tolland (the town not the County) is also considered to be a little nicer than Vernon (though also a little more rural) so it would be a different type of renter generally.

User Stats

Votes
Jaysen Medhurst
  • Greenwich, CT
Votes |
  • Greenwich, CT
Replied Jan 20 2021, 05:36

@Paul Stansel, I grew up in Manchester and know the area pretty well. There are properties in and around Storrs, but it's really hit or miss, since it's so rural. I have a bunch of family in Tolland. You're unlikely to find suitable investment properties there since home prices are relatively high and I believe the town has a 1-acre deed restriction. MFR are very rare. Willimantic has quite a bit of stock, but, well it's Willimantic.

User Stats

Votes
Filipe Pereira
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Windsor Locks, CT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Windsor Locks, CT
Replied Jan 20 2021, 08:55

@Scott Hollister is the guy to talk to for anything east of Manchester @Paul Stansel, so you will be in good hands there. Generally speaking, downtown Rockville is the least desirable area of Vernon, but I am sure you already know that. 

Happy hunting!

Connecticut Property Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
James McCard
  • Investor
  • New Hartford, CT
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New Hartford, CT
Replied Jan 29 2021, 12:27

Paul I think I may know you are you a regular customer of a garage in Canton CT?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 29 2021, 13:02

User Stats

Votes
Paul Stansel
Votes |
Replied Jan 29 2021, 13:04
Originally posted by @James McCard:

Paul I think I may know you are you a regular customer of a garage in Canton CT?

That would be my father ;)

User Stats

Votes
Paul Stansel
Votes |
Replied Jan 29 2021, 13:06
Originally posted by @Filipe Pereira:

@Scott Hollister is the guy to talk to for anything east of Manchester @Paul Stansel, so you will be in good hands there. Generally speaking, downtown Rockville is the least desirable area of Vernon, but I am sure you already know that. 

Happy hunting!

Yeah, I don't want to be a Rockville slum lord unfortunately because that's where almost all the inventory seems to be.