How to Heat/Cool a Property in KS

10 Replies

I am considering a property that has no ductwork present for setting up an HVAC.  Is this standard?  I browse the temps, and see a low in the Winter of 21 Degrees and a high in the Summer of 91 degrees.  I would think I would need to provide some type of heating and cooling for this property, but without ductwork, how did they do it all these years?

What am I missing?  How do you heat and cool your properties in KS?  Window Units?  Any local input would be helpful and Thanks!

It may have electric base board heating and you didn't realize it.   I like central air systems but with  no ductwork that's hard to do without a lot of cost. 

Originally posted by @Jim Adrian :

It may have electric base board heating and you didn't realize it.   I like central air systems but with  no ductwork that's hard to do without a lot of cost. 

So in the absence of anything.  How would you suggest I proceed?  How hard is it to install this base board heating system throughout?  Ball park.

Some smaller older houses were built with wall heaters, floor heaters or stand alone space heaters.  Typically they cooled with window units.  I convert to central HVAC but it would depend on the neighborhood and the units competing with your house.  I think baseboard heating is probably about the same cost as a central unit.  You have three or four options for a central unit:  1) put the unit in the basement, 2) put the unit in the attic, 3) put the unit outside as a package unit, or 4)  put the unit in a utility closet.  Each will have a different ductwork cost depending on the house.  You might be able to go back with a wall furnace and window units.  How big is the house?

Tough to tell without any information on the building. SFH, duplex, multi 2 story etc etc.

Best solution would probably be mini splits (a/c & heat). They are very efficient (more so than baseboard) but again not knowing the layout it's impossible to guesstimate. I installed wall heaters with blowers because I found baseboard heating ugly & very inefficient. But I ran 240v lines throughout connecting several in series. But that doesn't solve your a/c dilemma.  A fellow investor completely rehabbed a big 2 story adding NG (forced air) heat with a/c. Venting runs ran about $3000 & he did it himself. We get the furnaces & a/c units from a company in Florida.

@Victor N. This property is only 1100 square feet.  It's a 2 bedroom, 1 bath.  So, it's small.  It doesn't have a basement.  It has a crawl space.  Would you still recommend the mini-splits @Pat L. ?  I have heard of those and from what I find online, they seem to be fairly priced, but do they still need ductwork, or do they work like a window unit?  I couldn't get a definitive answer from the websites I looked at.

That is a similar size to two houses we are doing now. Split systems like Pat mentioned don't need ductwork which is a plus but you need units for every room in the house or at least all areas.  So, you may need 4 or 5.  They install through the wall and likely will require an upgrade to the electrical panel.

For my two 1100 sq foot houses, I solicited multiple bids and found that a conventional central HVAC unit with ductwork installed in the crawlspace or in the attic was the most cost effective  and around $5100.  My houses are in a small South central Kansas town so your labor cost could be more or less than mine.

I am assuming that the house has a gas service line to it as that would probably be a material difference in cost.

@Cara Lonsdale

Cara,

I'm a fan of mini splits. No duct work needed just a pair of small tubes and a couple of wires to each " head " mounted on wall, small condenser unit sits outside. 1100 sq ft probably 2 heads depending on layout of house. We have also used ventless gas wall heaters with blower and window a/c on small dwellings

Originally posted by @Victor N. :

I am assuming that the house has a gas service line to it as that would probably be a material difference in cost.

Yes.  Gas to the house.  Sorry I didn't mention that before.

Originally posted by @Dean H. :

@Cara Lonsdale

Cara,

I'm a fan of mini splits. No duct work needed just a pair of small tubes and a couple of wires to each " head " mounted on wall, small condenser unit sits outside. 1100 sq ft probably 2 heads depending on layout of house. We have also used ventless gas wall heaters with blower and window a/c on small dwellings

Okay.  That sounds good because I didn't want to have to install ductwork and have to redo walls/ceilings and paint afterwards.  So, this could be a good option.  Is this easy enough to self install, or do you need a contractor for something like this?

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here