Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Off Topic
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Michael Clark
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Scranton, PA
Votes |
"Driving For Dollars".. need some help please!

Michael Clark
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Scranton, PA
Posted Sep 19 2022, 08:01

I recently found a duplex that I'd love to buy but it's currently off-market. The home is vacant but I found the owner's name through the local assessment office. Any tips on what I should include in the letter inquiring if he'd be interested in selling? I've never done this before, thanks for your help in advance!

User Stats

Votes
John Williams
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Clarksville, TN
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Clarksville, TN
Replied Sep 21 2022, 13:08

I'd recommend hand-writing the envelope and the letter itself. Do whatever you can to ensure your envelop gets opened! Keep the letter clear and concise. Be genuine and write it yourself. Let them know you're local and let them know you know the area. Provide them with some comps! Offer value to them in any way you can! Yes, you want to buy their property, but even if they do not want to sell (at this very moment), can you serve them in some way? Can you connect them with vendors/resources that they mind helpful? Be different, stand out from the competition, focus on adding value to the property owner, focus on service first! 

Do that enough times and you'll buy plenty of properties!

Cheers

User Stats

Votes
Luther Wilson III
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Sep 21 2022, 13:26

Check out yellowletters.com  They've been a decent resource for us in the past.

There's a bunch of similar websites too...  If you do a web search for real estate investor yellow letters or direct mail you'll find all kinds of stuff.

They have a bunch of templates and examples of what you could do out there.  Tweak it as you wish and you're in there like swimwear!  :)

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Bliss
  • Realtor
  • Bradenton, FL (Bradenton)
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Bradenton, FL (Bradenton)
Replied Sep 22 2022, 07:04

Hello @Michael Clark,

I would recommend trying to get a hold of them via Direct Mail, and try to also Call/Text them as well. 

Mailbox Power is a great tool for direct mail, you can customize post cards or letters and add graphics / images as well.

User Stats

Votes
Cheryl Packham
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Surprise, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Surprise, AZ
Replied Oct 5 2022, 16:16

Hi Michael,

Be as authentic as possible.  Make sure they know that you saw their property.  Include something personal about it.  They probably get 30-40 "yellow letters" per year.  I know I have.  Tell them who you are and why you are interested in that property.  Ask for a phone call or email and provide your direct contact information.  

I also recommend doing any research you can about the property or the person to see if there is a reason it is vacant.  The better you understand the situation the more likely you are to solve their problem.