• Investor
  • Roswell, NM
Votes |
What type of computer do you use?

Joseph Delarosa
  • Investor
  • Roswell, NM
Posted May 19 2017, 05:52

Just putting this out to the mean machine. What kinda of computer do you use, and when you decide to upgrade what are you going to buy?

I have this crusty Sony VAIO from 2007 I think. She's running good, but I've never changed her oil, and I think its about time to put her down. I do have a wireless backup system that saves everything. Maybe I should switch to icloud?

What type of system/set up do ya'll use, and when you decide to upgrade what are your first changes?

User Stats

Votes
Nestor R.
  • Woodland Hills, CA
Votes |
  • Woodland Hills, CA
Replied May 23 2017, 15:13

If it's an old windows XP definitely time to put her down. Or even an old Vista. Both have serious security problems. Although Vista is more of an instability problem then anything. 

For a new computer think about what you are going to use it for. If you need to work on the road get a laptop with an SSD (solid state drive). The SSD should make it nice and fast and also add a little protection to your data in case you drop the laptop (SSD is more durable). If you always work form home then just get a regular PC. But do spend more then 300 or you'll end up with something that isn't very fast. I would still recommend a computer with an SSD.

Also what do you mean by wireless backup system?

User Stats

Votes
Franklin Fletcher
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Prescott, AZ
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Prescott, AZ
Replied May 23 2017, 16:44

I switched from PC to a Macbook Pro about 3 years ago and have never been sorry.  I got tired of the PC security issues, slowness and constant update problems.  I LOVE my mac and don't miss the PC
a bit.  It's pricey upfront but I expect to get my money's worth.  I've had several PC's to die for various reasons and got fed up with losing data and changing machines.  We bought my son a mac when he started college and 11 years later he hasn't had any problems.  That's what sold me.  Also, no software, hardware or security issues.  The thing just works and THAT I don't mind paying for!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Blake Cooper
  • Wichita, KS
Votes |
  • Wichita, KS
Replied Dec 1 2019, 23:28

Running on a Toshiba. I enjoy the machine, it works well, and the keyboard has a good type feel. That said, the cooling is awful, one tiny fan on the back to cool an i7 and an Nvidia GPU is not enough! I do repair and upgrades on the side, and I recommend to all my customers the SSD upgrade. Single best upgrade you can do to a machine.