• Contractor
  • Beech Island, SC
Votes |
Spec home building

L R Wadsworth
  • Contractor
  • Beech Island, SC
Posted Mar 8 2019, 14:01

There isn’t much mention of spec home building on here. It seems that builders are building and selling specs everywhere and doing well at it. Most of this type building is being done by large or well established builders that only build on property that is developed by themselves. Very few homes outside of the new neighborhoods or scatter site spec homes are available for those that don’t want a neighborhood setting. Is spec home building on a small scale too much of a risk as a supplemental income for someone (if they’re qualified for the task) that wants to dabble in a construction building business?

Account Closed
  • Realtor
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Portland, OR
Replied Dec 22 2020, 23:14

Personally I am working on a Owner-Occupied Property with ADU. Plan is to build & rent and move every couple years.

I worked with land developers the last 3 years. Lots of money in surveying, land studies, council meetings etc. 2-4 years sometimes and hundreds of thousands of dollars in just development fee's. But they reach scalability and buy buying lots that I would could buy personally for 100k for one lot. They eventually get at only 18-25K for example. 

I would say its perfect for a stay at home parent because you need flexibility, answering calls from the city, running back and forth to the site etc. 

Working a 8-5 I dont would work but maybe a WFH situation might work.

Hope this info helps