Skip to content
Maryland Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Pitta
  • Realtor
  • Southern Maryland
Votes |
Estimated cost to convert half bath to full?

Daniel Pitta
  • Realtor
  • Southern Maryland
Posted Oct 28 2017, 06:52

I'm trying to get some kind of ballpark figure for what it would cost to convert a half bath to a full. I have a friend that is looking to move out of their 3BR/2.5 bath home in Rockville in the next year. The basement is livable and has a half bath; my thought is that if I can convert it to a full, I'd be able to pocket more in renting out the space. The upstairs has a master bedroom with full bath attached, another full bathroom across the hall, and two bedrooms; one they have been using as a study, and the other as a guest bedroom. 

Looking at the basement as a rentable space, the house is 4BR/2.5 bath. They're located in Rockville, off of Aspen Hill & Veirs Mill. I was told by a friend that's a RE agent that this area of Rockville doesn't offer much in terms of appreciation, but I'm trying to figure out if it could be a potential house hack. I'll be there Sunday to get more info re: what price range they're looking to list it for. The one caveat is that they have a large inground pool in the backyard which seems like a huge sunken cost. I would want to remove the pool if I ended up buying the property, but have no idea what that would cost.

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Pitta
  • Realtor
  • Southern Maryland
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Southern Maryland
Replied Oct 28 2017, 07:13

@Russell Brazil

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Oct 28 2017, 12:04

$7k for thr bathroom. Pool removal would vary by size, but its a lot more money than people typically expect. That location maintains decent demand, thus decent appreciation over time.  Sire its a little stronger in thr Rockville High cluster than there, but not a vwry big difference.  From route 200 and south you typically have pretty good demand and appreciation.

District Invest Group Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jason D.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • St. Petersburg, Fl
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • St. Petersburg, Fl
Replied Oct 28 2017, 12:39
@Daniel Pitta I am converting a 1/2 bath to a full in a flip I am doing. We have to reframe a wall and are taking about 8 square feet of space from a hall and now master bath. The project, completed, is going to cost me $5000. A basement will probably be more because you have to break up concrete to run new plumbing.

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Pitta
  • Realtor
  • Southern Maryland
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Southern Maryland
Replied Oct 28 2017, 14:39
Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

$7k for thr bathroom. Pool removal would vary by size, but its a lot more money than people typically expect. That location maintains decent demand, thus decent appreciation over time.  Sire its a little stronger in thr Rockville High cluster than there, but not a vwry big difference.  From route 200 and south you typically have pretty good demand and appreciation.

What is a reasonable amount to expect to get for rent in that area? The 2 rooms upstairs will be sharing a full bath. The basement is spacious with a half bath, that I'd be looking to convert to a full.