Votes
Eric G.
  • Honolulu, HI
Votes |
Burst Pipes - Liability Question

Eric G.
  • Honolulu, HI
Posted Jan 13 2018, 14:37

Disclaimer: I understand there are quite a few threads on "bursting pipe liability" on this site. However, they all seem to have a few different scenarios or circumstances that are situationally unique. Lastly, a friend asked me to post on here because I've told her what valuable knowledge and insight exists on this site, her name is Anna. 

Earlier this month, a pipe burst while Anna was at work. The result of the pipe bursting was due to how poorly insulated the house is. (As stated by the responding plumber) The thermostat was kept at 70 degrees as it always is when Anna leaves. They have a smart thermostat and are able to prove same. It is likely going to be determined that the tenant is not at fault for this incident. The owners of the property are trying to get Anna to file a claim with her renter's insurance for this incident. The properties basement and entire kitchen area are currently inhabitable due to the water damage, she cannot access same. 

My question is this, 

1. what EXACTLY does renters insurance cover and when in this situation should a claim be filed with Annas policy? 
  2. If a landlord is offering to give a discount on the monthly rent due to the property being partially uninhabitable for 3 weeks, should that be a renters insurance claim to annas policy, or theirs?

Lastly, this property is just outside of Baltimore MD. 

-Eric

Loading replies...