Skip to content
Maryland Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum

User Stats

Votes
Cate Mee
  • Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
Where to purchase a SFH for "house hacking" in Maryland?

Cate Mee
  • Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Posted Jan 23 2018, 06:35

Good Morning BPers, 

Looking for some thoughts / assistance with an upcoming move to Maryland.  My husband and I will be relocating to Maryland (he will be working in Severn/Odenton).   We are searching for a good investment to "house hack" within 30-45 minutes.  We have been having a difficult time understanding the best option between all the areas we have looked at: Ellicott City, Catonsville, Roland Park, Clarksville, Fulton, Silver Spring, University Park or Annapolis (any other suggestions also welcome).  We move somewhat frequently, every 2 years or so, so we always look to buy a cosmetic fixer with some room for sweat equity in areas that we do our best to research are going to maintain current value or (hopefully) appreciate due to trends, schools, walkability, incoming commercial investment and perceived desirability.  Our target acquisition cost would be 300-450K and looking to add between 25-50k (floor refinishing, painting, kitchen and/or bath updates) and resell to make minimum 50-75k in a couple of years.  We have been able to successfully do this our last three moves, which has given us the flexibility to continue following career options.   We also enjoy the process/work.  Any thoughts on which (if any) of the cities/neighborhoods in Maryland will lend themselves to this?  Hoping to land a 3-4 bedroom, 1-2 bath, approx 1600 sqft minimum (yard is unfortunately a requirement).   We do have children, so a safe area is a requirement as well.  Thanks in advance.  I would appreciate any insight/opinions.   

Loading replies...