MD Townhouse closet addition to finished room

MD Townhouse closet addition to finished room

Rental Property Investor · Gainesville, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 432 votes

Hi all,

I have a rental townhouse (doing some much needed updating) that is 3 levels with the lower level walk out being the front-door, foyer-hall, garage, and a finished 13x13 room that has full bath and laundry space for w/d. 

My lease agent mentioned perhaps adding a closet to this space and marketing it as an additional bedroom. It's already a 3/2.5 from it's original building. 

While this room does have a window, it's not one that is a type of egress necessary for leaving through. The small window at the base of the ceiling looks out above ground though the entire room is only accessible from the door leading to the hall out the front door, the window is not something that can be used for exiting in emergency, which I believe egress means. And as I write this, does ceiling have to be a certain height as well?

Questions:

  • If marketing as a rental (as I intend to continue doing), would adding a closet mean that "voila" I now have an additional bedroom and can market it as a 4/2.5?
  • Just for grinds: If marketing for sale, same situation, can it be legally be marketed as 4/2.5?

I did call the permit office for Baltimore County and they said no permit would be required by just adding the closet. There is no electrical or plumbing so no permit is needed.

I don't want to spend money on something that won't really yield a good benefit.

@Ned Carey would you have any input on this since you are in the Maryland and know the pulse beat of the area.

Thank you much and Happy start to a new year!

0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
7y

Does it have a window? That is a bedroom requirement as well.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    7y

    Does it have a window? That is a bedroom requirement as well.

  • Real Estate Investor · Waldorf, MD · Member since 2014 · 592 posts · 320 votes
    7y

    As a rental, I'll market it as a 4th bedroom.  Perhaps if you trying to target section 8 or any government assistant programs then they have guidelines but to a normal happy family from off the streets then I would consider it a 3 bedroom and a den or 4 bedrooms.

  • Rental Property Investor · Gainesville, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 432 votes
    7y

    @Account Closed

    Legally though. What I described, is it a legal bedroom by MD standards/law?

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    @Daria B. I suspect this would not legally be considered a bedroom.  I believe there has to be two egress points. In a basement this usually means the stairs and a door. But in this case I'm not sure the stairs count as they take you away from the front door. 

    I assume the room is in the back. That means if there if a fire in the front there is no second way out. Another concern is ceiling height. 

    My understanding is a closet does not need to be actually in the bedroom, there just needs to be a closet available for that room. That may be a section 8 regulation not a state code. I also believe a wardrobe satisfies the requirement. Please double check on these issues. 

    I would be concerned about liability of listing something as a bedroom that does not conform to code. 

    For practical reasons it doesn't make much difference. Just because you don't call it a bedroom doesn't mean people will not use it as such.

  • Rental Property Investor · Gainesville, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 432 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ned Carey:

    @Daria B. I suspect this would not legally be considered a bedroom.  I believe there has to be two egress points. In a basement this usually means the stairs and a door. But in this case I'm not sure the stairs count as they take you away from the front door. 

    I assume the room is in the back. That means if there if a fire in the front there is no second way out. Another concern is ceiling height. 

    • Yes, you are correct the room is in the back, enter front door walk down short hallway (stairs leading up to the left and garage door on the right) pass the stairs and garage door and into the 13x13 room.

    My understanding is a closet does not need to be actually in the bedroom, there just needs to be a closet available for that room. That may be a section 8 regulation not a state code. I also believe a wardrobe satisfies the requirement. Please double check on these issues. 

    • In this case it was to find out legally if the room would be considered "another legal bedroom" by virtue of adding the closet. I'm not sure of the section 8 codes since I have never had to utilize them.

    I would be concerned about liability of listing something as a bedroom that does not conform to code. 

    • My concern also even though I did not state this. Since it was recommended I wanted to find out of what value would this really be - extra cost I can use elsewhere. The recommendation was that I could garner more $ for the rental.

    For practical reasons it doesn't make much difference. Just because you don't call it a bedroom doesn't mean people will not use it as such. 

    • Yes, this is true and it has been used as a bedroom although I have stated it is not a room to be used as a bedroom.

     Thanks Ned....

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.