Skip to content
New York Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum

User Stats

Votes
Diane Manders
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Patchogue, NY
Votes |
Typical sponsoring broker arrangements and fees in NY?

Diane Manders
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Patchogue, NY
Posted Jan 23 2017, 14:28

Hi BP.  I just finished the required 75 hours of class time to get my NY real estate salesperson's license and wondering if anyone can tell me their typical fees/arrangements in NY with their sponsoring broker and give any recommendations?  I already have experience as a real estate paralegal, title closer and mortgage loan officer so I really just want the license to use for my own investing.  Was surprised to find out that you cannot register to take the NY state test unless you already have a sponsor broker.  

I want to be completely upfront to any broker I approach that I'm planning to use the license strictly for my own investment purposes and hopefully can work out a straight fee arrangement.  My real estate background means I'd be very low maintenance for them but not sure what to propose in terms of arrangements and fees?  Any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate.  Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
James Caruso
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Middle Island, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Middle Island, NY
Replied Feb 2 2017, 12:30

I'm in the same boat, about to start the 75 hours and have all the same questions. I was unaware you had to have a broker BEFORE the test though...

User Stats

Votes
Diane Manders
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Patchogue, NY
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Patchogue, NY
Replied Feb 10 2017, 13:05

Hi @James Caruso.  You don't actually - I was wrong about that.  You are able to take the test from your school where you take the 75 hour course as well as the state exam but once you pass both and want to get your actual license, then you have to provide the broker's name and ID number online and he or she will have to go online and agree to sponsor you.  Then that broker will be mailed your license.  I have now passed the test and am still interviewing brokers so you'll have time after if you want to go ahead and get the tests out of the way first.  Good luck!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Pavel Reyes Valdes
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Louisville, KY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Louisville, KY
Replied Jul 9 2018, 10:48

Hi, who did you both end up going with? I'm preparing for my move to NY and I started to do some research online. I want to be able to get my license before I arrive there and finding a sponsoring broker is part of my to-do list.

User Stats

Votes
Diane Manders
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Patchogue, NY
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Patchogue, NY
Replied Jul 9 2018, 12:17

I'm with an online broker now just so I can access MLS so I pay monthly fees but keep 100 percent of commission.

User Stats

Votes
Pavel Reyes Valdes
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Louisville, KY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Louisville, KY
Replied Jul 10 2018, 09:48

Who is it? Real?

User Stats

Votes
Diane Manders
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Patchogue, NY
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Patchogue, NY
Replied Jul 10 2018, 10:55

I'm with Voro NYC 

User Stats

Votes
Pavel Reyes Valdes
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Louisville, KY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Louisville, KY
Replied Jul 10 2018, 12:24

Thanks for your reply. Hope you are doing great with your Real Estate endeavors 

User Stats

Votes
Diane Manders
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Patchogue, NY
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Patchogue, NY
Replied Jul 12 2018, 12:54

Happy to help. Good luck with your move!

User Stats

Votes
Samir Goel
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New York, NY
Replied Jul 30 2018, 19:37

@Diane Manders I'm in this situation now, how do you like Voro? Would you recommend them?

User Stats

Votes
Diane Manders
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Patchogue, NY
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Patchogue, NY
Replied Jul 31 2018, 04:02

Hi @Samir Goel.  I'm happy with them but you are completely independent so if you know the forms to use to put in an offer, create a listing, etc, then it's great. Had I not worked for a traditional broker first, I'd be lost! So if you have some basic knowledge, I'd definitely recommend but if not, then Id say it's best if you go elsewhere initially where you can get some agent training. Good luck! 

User Stats

Votes
Samir Goel
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New York, NY
Replied Jul 31 2018, 04:33

Thanks @Diane Manders - appreciate the great advice. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 8 2020, 07:43

Hello 

Im just about to take my salesperson exam for New York . Looking for any advice how to find sponsor brokerage . Any tips would be appreciate it .

Thank you 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Wolf
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Boca Raton, FL
Replied Mar 9 2020, 08:49
Originally posted by @Malgorzata Gorniak:

Hello 

Im just about to take my salesperson exam for New York . Looking for any advice how to find sponsor brokerage . Any tips would be appreciate it .

Thank you 

Malgorzata, the school you took the class through should have some companies that advertise.  What are you looking to do, commercial, residential? And what areas?

Find someone who looks like a market leader in the area and contact them.  

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 9 2020, 09:01

Thank you for replying to me . Im looking to do residential . And no they dont have any advertisements . Im mostly looking to  Work in Manhattan . 

User Stats

Votes
Scott Wolf
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Boca Raton, FL
Replied Mar 10 2020, 11:26

@Malgorzata Gorniak Manhattan is a big island.  You should try to become an expert in a certain area first.  Find a firm that you think can offer you the tools to succeed. No one can do the ground work for you.  Interview multiple firms!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 10 2020, 11:32

@Scott Wolf thank you for your advice . My question though is can i randomly call or how to start that proses? Of interviewing ?  

User Stats

Votes
Scott Wolf
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Boca Raton, FL
Replied Mar 10 2020, 11:39

Most companies have career links on their websites that you can email, or you can call and ask for the hiring manager.  

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 10 2020, 16:24

@Scott Wolf thank you for your advice ! I will do that for sure ! I want to work hard for my success in the future !