North or South Carolina Commercial Broker

North or South Carolina Commercial Broker

Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 62 posts · 33 votes

Hi All,

I am looking for an apartment building in North Carolina (Asheville, Raleigh, Durham) or South Carolina (Greenville, Hilton Head) and was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a commercial broker in either state or those specific sub-markets. I am investing from the West Coast sunshine state (CA) so someone experienced with out of state investors would be great. Thanks in advance!

Wiley

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Troy GandeeBusiness Member
Real Estate Broker · Charleston, SC · Member since 2013 · 794 posts · 454 votes
8y

@Wiley Strahan I broker apartments in Charleston. I will tell you that the commercial multifamily inventory in the Charleston area is absolutely brutal. There's a lot more inventory in the Columbia and Greenville areas at the moment, but it's also pretty slim around there. It really just depends on how big you want to go.

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Will GastonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Wiley Strahan Can you be more specific about what type of building you're looking for? Are you investing by yourself or with a syndication?

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 62 posts · 33 votes
    8y

    @Will Gaston definitely. Looking for something on my own. I have a partner and we are looking for apartment buildings in the 10+ unit range. We are also open to alternatives (mobile home parks, self storage) but mainly focused on apartment buildings. Let me know if you need more info. Thanks!

  • Will GastonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Wiley Strahan will send you a PM.

  • Attorney · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 224 posts · 126 votes
    8y

    @Wiley Strahan I just PM'ed you.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Hi Will and David - my husband and I are also looking to buy an apartment building or a portfolio of multi-family properties in Charlotte, Asheville and/or Winston-Salem. If you have any fantastic, knowledgeable agents who specialize in multi-family or commercial/apartment buildings, we'd very much appreciate it.

  • New Iberia, LA · Member since 2017 · 133 posts · 89 votes
    8y

    I have been looking in this area for Multi-Family, but also Trailer Parks and Self Storage as well. Greenville, Columbia, Charleston areas in SC and Charlotte, Raleigh Durham and Coastal NC. And also looking in the 10 + unit range. 

  • Troy GandeeBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Charleston, SC · Member since 2013 · 794 posts · 454 votes
    8y

    @Wiley Strahan I broker apartments in Charleston. I will tell you that the commercial multifamily inventory in the Charleston area is absolutely brutal. There's a lot more inventory in the Columbia and Greenville areas at the moment, but it's also pretty slim around there. It really just depends on how big you want to go.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 62 posts · 33 votes
    8y

    @Troy Gandee thanks for the information! That's definitely what I have been hearing from a lot of people. We are looking to go 20+ units if possible and are open to areas outside the city. I have heard a JV for bigger properties may even be the right move nowadays.

  • Rental Property Investor · Hoboken, NJ · Member since 2014 · 65 posts · 64 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Troy Gandee:

    @Wiley Strahan I broker apartments in Charleston. I will tell you that the commercial multifamily inventory in the Charleston area is absolutely brutal. There's a lot more inventory in the Columbia and Greenville areas at the moment, but it's also pretty slim around there. It really just depends on how big you want to go.

     Troy, do you broker multi-family in Columbia and Greenville areas? Also are you licensed in NC as well? I am looking for a broker in both NC and SC, looking for 125+ unit C-Class multi-family ideally around 6.5+ cap 

  • Troy GandeeBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Charleston, SC · Member since 2013 · 794 posts · 454 votes
    8y

    @Kyle Kovats I do broker multifamily in Columbia and Greenville. I have CoStar access and see everything listed in those markets. I also check in with brokers in those areas from time to time to see what's coming around. Unfortunately, the inventory in those two markets is also pretty thin, but still much more accessible than the Charleston area. I'm not currently licensed in NC. I can access CoStar listings in NC and could refer you out on them, but I can't broker them myself. I intend to get my license in NC and GA eventually, but I haven't found a need for it just yet.

  • Wholesaler · Charlotte , NC · Member since 2016 · 100 posts · 18 votes
    8y

    @Wiley Strahan, @Amanda Wallace, @James Dickens Hi Guys and Gals, I spend all my time searching for off market properties in every area that was l mentioned. I just close a smaller 24 unit deal in charlotte and working on a 67 unit now.  

  • New Iberia, LA · Member since 2017 · 133 posts · 89 votes
    8y

    @Cedric Macon Congrats on those deals. Are you Wholesaling them or keeping in your portfolio? 

  • Wholesaler · Charlotte , NC · Member since 2016 · 100 posts · 18 votes
    8y

    the 24 unit was a wholesale and the 64 unit is still on the table, but hopefully I will have some ownership in that one. 

  • Stephanie P.Pro Member
    Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Wiley Strahan:

    Hi All,

    I am looking for an apartment building in North Carolina (Asheville, Raleigh, Durham) or South Carolina (Greenville, Hilton Head) and was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a commercial broker in either state or those specific sub-markets. I am investing from the West Coast sunshine state (CA) so someone experienced with out of state investors would be great. Thanks in advance!

    Wiley

    Hey Wiley

    Looks like you got some great responses on this thread from some folks embedded in the area you're looking at.  You may want to put it out there on the Marketplace.   I bet you'll get even  more.  Just a suggestion.

    Best of luck

    Stephanie

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 62 posts · 33 votes
    8y

    @Stephanie P. Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely consider that.

    @Cedric Macon thanks for the heads up. Please let me know if you find additional buildings in the 20+ unit range.

    Thanks!

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 62 posts · 33 votes
    8y

    @Jessica Rogers that sounds very intriguing. Would love to learn more. Let me know the best way to connect. 

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 49 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    Hi All - for those that are in Columbia, SC, does anybody have an idea of what the average cap rate  is or where I can potentially find this information?

  • Real Estate Broker · Columbia, SC · Member since 2015 · 148 posts · 110 votes
    8y

    CAP rates here are the same as everywhere; it depends. 15 is not at all unrealistic but that is in a C neighborhood. 8 to 10 in better neighborhoods and 5 to 6 in nicer neighborhoods and even to achieve that you have to be a careful, attentive buyer.
     

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.