Tennessee Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Angelo
Votes |
New to STR in Sevierville TN

Ryan Angelo
Posted May 14 2020, 10:15

So we are new to all of this, going to hopefully close on cabin in Hidden Springs next month.  It is already doing well on AirBnb, so we decided we will do the same.

Do we have to register the cabin or ourselves with the county to taxes?  I know Airbnb takes care of the state and local taxes, correct?

Any useful information to make this start as smooth as possible would be appreciated..

Thanks!!

User Stats

Votes
Maria King
  • Investor
  • Tampa Bay Florida
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tampa Bay Florida
Replied May 14 2020, 11:13

@Ryan Angelo Airbnb only takes care of State of Tennessee Sales tax. Not Sevier County Lodging Tax. You'll have to take care of that. First thing you'll need to do is register for a business license with the clerk. Once you do that you can use that license number to file the taxes.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Angelo
Votes |
Replied May 14 2020, 13:31
Originally posted by @Maria King:

@Ryan Angelo Airbnb only takes care of State of Tennessee Sales tax. Not Sevier County Lodging Tax. You'll have to take care of that. First thing you'll need to do is register for a business license with the clerk. Once you do that you can use that license number to file the taxes.

That is what I thought,  Thank you!!

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Maria King
  • Investor
  • Tampa Bay Florida
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tampa Bay Florida
Replied May 14 2020, 14:05

@Ryan Angelo anytime :) we are learning too. Our first STR in Sevierville started in March. We are finally starting to do well :) hopefully stays that way!

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Angelo
Votes |
Replied May 14 2020, 15:55

@Maria King  Finger crossed.  It is starting to get busy there again, we were just there last weekend.    

So another question, any cleaning company recommendations?  How are you handling any handyman/plumbing/electrical/HVAC issues?  Did you hire a maintenance company?

User Stats

Votes
Maria King
  • Investor
  • Tampa Bay Florida
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tampa Bay Florida
Replied May 14 2020, 15:56

@Ryan Angelo

Yes we have a cleaner and a maintenance person but I self manage

User Stats

Votes
Ruth Blue
  • Realtor
  • Pigeon Forge, TN
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Pigeon Forge, TN
Replied May 15 2020, 06:58

Welcome to the neighborhood. I will PM you. 

It has been my experience that recommendations for cleaners and maintenance may be hard to find because of a few reasons. Relationships are developed over time so one cleaner may work for one person and not another. Plus These lists are GOLD here. Once you find the best of the best people don't want to share for fear of having personal cleaners becoming to busy. 

I responded on the other post for local facebook group link and also a contractor hookup link TurnoverBNB. WE have a cleaner who exclusively uses Turnover and loves it! 

User Stats

Votes
Gerald Pitts
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Asheville NC
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Asheville NC
Replied May 15 2020, 07:11

Hi @Ryan Angelo, and welcome to the STR world! I use the service MyLodgeTax. They take care of the bulk of the tax and license stuff, and have great customer service as well.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 15 2020, 07:22

The Apple Barn. The Apple Barn Cider Mill & General Store is one of the most popular shopping and dining destinations in the Smoky Mountains. ...

CLIMB Works Smoky Mountains. ...

Dolly Parton Statue. ...

Smoky Mountain Deer Farm & Exotic Petting Zoo. ...

Tennessee Legend Distillery. ...

Forbidden Caverns. ...

Smoky Mountain Knife Works.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Angelo
Votes |
Replied May 15 2020, 10:46
Originally posted by @Gerald Pitts:

Hi @Ryan Angelo, and welcome to the STR world! I use the service MyLodgeTax. They take care of the bulk of the tax and license stuff, and have great customer service as well.

Ok, thanks!   I did read some other were using it as well and will look into it.

User Stats

Votes
Ruth Blue
  • Realtor
  • Pigeon Forge, TN
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Pigeon Forge, TN
Replied May 15 2020, 10:56
Helpful Link for Tax info. 

https://secure.tennesseetrustee.org/index.php?entity=sevier&state=TN&page=93

Originally posted by @Ryan Angelo:

So we are new to all of this, going to hopefully close on cabin in Hidden Springs next month.  It is already doing well on AirBnb, so we decided we will do the same.

Do we have to register the cabin or ourselves with the county to taxes?  I know Airbnb takes care of the state and local taxes, correct?

Any useful information to make this start as smooth as possible would be appreciated..

Thanks!!