help! what price did you guys pay for house painting?

19 Replies

hello everyone,

I am staring my first house flipping project. having trouble locating cheap painting guy. the quotes I got are around $4,500 for a 1950 sqft 2 story house. that price includes walls, ceilings, doors and trims. does the number sound good? anyone can share their go to painting guy? thank you very much!

Kevin, how many bedrooms & bathrooms make up that 1950 sqft house?  Are the walls and ceilings to be painted the same color?  What's the linear footage of kitchen cabinetry to be painted?  If you'll answer those 3 questions I'll let you know if your quotes are in line.

hi Joy

thank you for the response!

the house is 3 beds 2.5 bath and 1 bedroom size office. walls and ceilings are gonna be same color. doors and trims are gonna be white. kitchen cabinets are not included in the quote...

I just called my paint guy and he said sqft of house is what he charges for walls, trim, and doors and he charges 1/2 sqft for ceilings added in so $2925 here. Upcharges dependent on paint type, brand, color combos, and finish.

Figure around $2/ft for 2 color interior wall, trim, ceiling, etc. No cabinets.  This is for DFW area. There is no way you will get this for $1/ft unless they just go in and shoot the entire house one color with no flooring and mask nothing. 

Originally posted by @Samantha Klein :

I just do my own painting. It's time consuming but saves money.

What is your time worth? I did this my first house, but I ended up finding a few contractors that are reasonable and reliable. It has made my life much easier and my family much happier. If you are just starting out, make sure you are moving towards the goal of hiring out. Otherwise whats the point? Good luck.

You are doing the right thing by posting, asking, shopping, and more shopping.  I never paid more than $150/room when I was flipping and had a handful of buy and hold units.  I have a small apartment complex now and I pay $450-600 for a color change for a 1000 square foot unit and $220 on the next turn with no color change (including SW paint).  This is standard in the apartment space in my area.  It amazes me what painting costs in other regions and for other investments.

Originally posted by @Mark Buskuhl :

Figure around $2/ft for 2 color interior wall, trim, ceiling, etc. No cabinets.  This is for DFW area. There is no way you will get this for $1/ft unless they just go in and shoot the entire house one color with no flooring and mask nothing. 

Hi, Mark

thank you for the response. I am in Plano tx. so for house with 2,000 sqft, $4,000 would be fair quote? the house is vacant and they only need to mask windows. everything else will be replaced after the painting. I do need trims and doors to be white and walls and ceilings to be other color however. also, may I ask what color did you typically use for $310k house in this area? I saw many house with grey color which looks good. but I am not sure the name of the color. any idea? thank you very much!

Originally posted by @Mike Dymski :

You are doing the right thing by posting, asking, shopping, and more shopping.  I never paid more than $150/room when I was flipping and had a handful of buy and hold units.  I have a small apartment complex now and I pay $450-600 for a color change for a 1000 square foot unit and $220 on the next turn with no color change (including SW paint).  This is standard in the apartment space in my area.  It amazes me what painting costs in other regions and for other investments.

quotes are varied a lot. I guess many of them don't care about job opportunity because of today's hot market.

Repose gray by Sherwin Williams is the color and places like Home Depot can match if you want a different "brand".  Around $4000 for a 2000 sq/ft house interior only, no cabinets. 

@Kevin Chen

$1/sf, labor only. That includes some minor prep work, and minor masking. 

$2/sf labor and materials would be an acceptable open market rate, meaning you're giving them a one-off job, not consistent work. 

I see people posting here about the type of paint. Be sure you understand that even if someone is buying paint at Sherwin Williams, they do sell paint for $10/gallon and $60/gallon. Quite differences. For $2/sf labor and materials you're going to get the $10/gallon stuff.