Handyman Recommendations in Salt Lake City

13 Replies

I bought my first investment property, a 4-plex, in Salt Lake City about 6 months ago. We have done much of the renovation work on our own, but I have a busy schedule and would like to find a reliable handyman. I have used two contractors thus far and have been wildly disappointed. Do any BP members in the area have suggestions?

Thanks!

I have been using Bill Rowe. He's an older guy and won't wow you with his work, but he will wow you with his pricing. I've had him do tile and light plumbing and have been pleased. His # is 801 618 5980, 

also, where is your 4 plex? 

@Quintin Mortensen

Thanks for the response! I will have to give him a call when I get to my next project. Do you know about what his rate is per hour?

Our 4-plex is in the Rose Park area near Redwood Rd just off the I-80 West exit. Not the greatest area, but cash flow is strong.

Cool, I have 2 condos in the same area (5th N & Redwood) He charges around $20 per hour. He is kind of an odd duck but give him a chance on a small project and hopefully he is up to your liking.

@Quintin Mortensen

You are really close then. My 4-plex is on 4th N just off Redwood. What are you rental rates there right now? 2Bd or 3Bds?

Originally posted by @Holden Latimer :

@Quintin Mortensen

You are really close then. My 4-plex is on 4th N just off Redwood. What are you rental rates there right now? 2Bd or 3Bds?

I have a 3 bed 3 bath that I rent for $1200. Im going to bump it up to $1225 since the HOA was bumped up $30

My second unit I live in (2 bed - 2 bath + loft for 3rd bedroom) i'll probably rent it for around $1100-$1200. I'm planing on moving this time next year so we will see how it goes. 

What about you, what are your rates?

@Quintin Mortensen

When we acquired the rents were mostly around $650/month with one unit renovated at $765/month. 

We have renovated two units that are now at $850 (we live in one) and raised rents on the other unit to $750/month.

Originally posted by @Holden Latimer :

@Quintin Mortensen

When we acquired the rents were mostly around $650/month with one unit renovated at $765/month. 

We have renovated two units that are now at $850 (we live in one) and raised rents on the other unit to $750/month.

Nice! How many bedrooms & Sq ft?

Holden
Would love to connect and have a fellow investor in Rose park. I just purchased 2 fourplexes in RP 1 month ago. Going to begin renovating one soon. Rents at 725 but it really needs upgrade.
365k purchase. Who manages for you?
Ryan Anderson

@Ryan Anderson Congrats on the new purchases! I still own the 4 plex in Rose park and stabilized the property about a year ago. After renovations our average rents are at about $825/unit which has been a nice bump from our starting rents of $679/unit. We have been through a handful of contractors on this and other projects, but haven't quite found a go to guy.

Do you own other deals in or around Salt Lake City? I would love to connect as well. Always looking to form relationships with like minded real estate investors. 

I self manage currently by the way.

So @Holden Latimer  I have a couple of 4 plexes in RP, one of them on Shannon Cir right behind yours... What did you do to your units to get them up to $850/month? What are the finishes? A/C or Swamp coolers? I'm thinking of doing some renovations to increase cash flow.

@Zach Coverston We basically did new black appliances, laminate flooring, new paint, new carpet in living areas, new doors and hardware, etc. Pretty much touched everything. I think $850 is achievable, but to minimize vacancy going forward, I think $800-$825 is the sweet spot for that area. How long have you had your properties? What are your current rents? Awesome to meet others who own rentals in the same neighborhood 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here