Abram Howard
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Funding for 1st Rental Property

Abram Howard
  • Olympia, WA
Posted May 22 2017, 14:47

Hey BP Community.

Hey I am looking to get my first Rental Property (Duplex). I have ran the numbers through the BP Calculator and it seems to be a great buy as far as purchase price, location, and profitable rent.

How would you go about getting the funding when you don't have the cash to purchase or much to put down on a traditional loan?

I've done some reading but that has only gotten me so far so I am hoping somebody else has been through a similar situation and can assist me.

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Steve Peterson
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • North Aurora, IL
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • North Aurora, IL
Replied May 22 2017, 14:48

I just went through the same thing and ended up with having to put 25% down.  Good luck to you and hopefully you find something better than myself.

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Rogers
  • Investor
  • Tempe, AZ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tempe, AZ
Replied May 22 2017, 15:23

If possible considering house hacking. Maybe instead of a duplex you look at a 4 plex and live in one of the units.

Also, if you have any friends that are interested in RE but don't currently own a house you could have them purchase a duplex on a FHA loan and put you on the title. Then you could split the down payment with them and only need to bring about 3% each to the table. This could save you a ton of money!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Colt Savage
  • Civil Engineer
  • Tacoma, WA
Votes |
  • Civil Engineer
  • Tacoma, WA
Replied May 23 2017, 07:53

Send me a personal message with some details and numbers if you don't mind. I'm just North of you in Tacoma. Is the duplex located in Olympia?

User Stats

Votes
Joel Cummings
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Spokane Valley WA
Votes |
  • Spokane Valley WA
Replied May 23 2017, 08:08

Is the property on the MLS or off market? What, if anything, do you have to put down? Do you have stable w2 income that a bank would like? Do you have a good credit score? What are you bringing to the table that would give someone a reason to partner with you?

User Stats

Votes
Prasad J.
  • Washington/Texas
Votes |
  • Washington/Texas
Replied May 24 2017, 22:47

If there is enough equity in the deal, you could buy it with Hard Money / Private Money with no Money down and then refinance into traditional lender. This is assuming you can qualify for a traditional loan in terms of income, DTI, etc. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Adrian Chu
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Seattle, WA
Replied May 25 2017, 02:00
Owner occupy one unit and do a FHA loan at 3.5 percent down payment. Let's chat.
  • Broker Washington (#26434), California (#02061077), and Oregon (#201223946)

Specialty Real Estate Group Logo