• Investor
  • Wildomar, CA
Votes |
Long-term Lease Options

Richard Chover
  • Investor
  • Wildomar, CA
Posted Mar 25 2024, 22:55

What does everyone think about lease options?

I used to do lease options 20 years ago, and it seems like a great way to wrap around without trigger a sale or breaking any terms of common notes.

I have a $1.3M property with a 1st of about $850k at 3.25%(or somewhere around there). My current PITI is around $5,500. I am thinking I could offer a lease option 10% down, plus 3% option fee, and structure the deal so I am cashflowing $3k positive per month.

What would you think of a deal like this?

User Stats

Votes
Steve Vaughan#1 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
Steve Vaughan#1 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Replied Mar 26 2024, 07:50
Quote from @Richard Chover:

I used to do lease options 20 years ago, and it seems like a great way to wrap around without trigger a sale or breaking any terms of common notes.

I have a $1.3M property with a 1st of about $850k at 3.25%(or somewhere around there). My current PITI is around $5,500. I am thinking I could offer a lease option 10% down, plus 3% option fee, and structure the deal so I am cashflowing $3k positive per month.

LO's are my favorite slow exit strategy and have been for a long time.  I also like to purchase options.

I'm just confused by your language of wrap around and down payment in addition to option fee.  

Wrap around and down describe a sale now.  How can you have both of those and an option which describes a sale at a later date? 

User Stats

Votes
Sujit Mapadath
  • Investor
  • Allen, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Allen, TX
Replied Mar 31 2024, 13:22

Sounds like you are doing a lease to buy deal. if you can lease it out for $3K more than your PITI, I think that would be a great deal.

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Bourgeois
  • Wholesaler
  • St. George
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • St. George
Replied Apr 2 2024, 12:11

Looks like a solid option to me.

I have sold a few properties on similar terms (A lease option that converts into a contract for deed) Similar to the BRRRR strategy. Buy fixer upper, rehab, sell on lease option, refinance. And I just mark up the interest rate.

It works for me in Utah because there is no other way I can think of to make a house cash flow here without putting 50% down. I'd assume California is similar.

User Stats

Votes
Richard Chover
  • Investor
  • Wildomar, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Wildomar, CA
Replied Apr 16 2024, 13:38
Quote from @Steve Vaughan:
Quote from @Richard Chover:

LO's are my favorite slow exit strategy and have been for a long time.  I also like to purchase options.

I'm just confused by your language of wrap around and down payment in addition to option fee.  

Wrap around and down describe a sale now.  How can you have both of those and an option which describes a sale at a later date? 

I did mix my language... that is what happens when you write posts late at night.

The structure would be a long-term lease with an option fee on the right to purchase.