Building Rentals Instead of Rehabbing: Our Experience So Far

Building Rentals Instead of Rehabbing: Our Experience So Far

Property Manager · Little Rock, AR · Member since 2018 · 58 posts · 47 votes

Good morning, everyone đź‘‹

I wanted to share a little bit about what we’ve been doing on the build-to-rent side lately and see who else here is heading down a similar path.

About five years ago, I built my first two new construction single-family rentals, and it was a real eye-opener. Up to that point, most of my portfolio consisted of heavy rehabs — profitable, but always full of surprises and ongoing maintenance.

With new construction, I quickly realized a few things:

  • The builds were more systematizable than rehabs — easier to repeat and scale.

  • Maintenance and CapEx costs have been almost zero outside of normal turnover.

  • Tenants love that they’re getting a “new” house — fewer headaches for everyone.

This year we’ve been leaning into it hard. We just wrapped up this duplex (pics below 👇). It’s about $240K all in, worth around $275K, and rents for $1,095 per side.

Even though our local rental market has slowed a bit, these leased up fairly quickly. Each unit is about 850 sq. ft., with 9-foot ceilings that make them feel more spacious. We keep the finishes clean and modern but cost-effective — LVP flooring, shaker cabinets, and simple trim details that photograph and show really well.

We’ve also built a few similar duplexes for turnkey clients, and they’ve had strong success with both rent-up and ongoing performance.

For us, this model has proven to be:

  • Scalable (our team can handle more new builds than rehabs)

  • Predictable (fewer surprises than remodels)

  • Attractive to tenants and investors alike

Curious if anyone else here is building new construction rentals — how are your numbers looking in your market? Are you planning to keep pushing this strategy, or pivoting based on rates and costs?

Would love to hear what’s working (or not) for others.

4Reply
261 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Statewide, MO · Member since 2011 · 814 posts · 425 votes
10mo

We've done a bunch of build to rents.  Congrats on your first. If you're all in with no money or little to no money out of pocket at 87% level you've done pretty good in this climate. 

We've had a lot of success working with Lowe's and their pro programs. If you're buying in volume and bulk, it would absolutely be worth talking to them. We revise what we want and characteristics of the homes we build from time to time. You're wise being careful not to over build.

It's a good looking build!

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • William WhitleyBusiness Member
    Accountant · TN · Member since 2025 · 144 posts · 91 votes
    11mo

    I have an investor client that purchased an improved property for rental and it included an additional lot. They ended up building on that additional lot and were planning to hold it as as rental. In the end, they decided to sell it. I have another client that is a builder, and they build fully furnished properties. I believe they are selling them either to people looking for fully furnished second homes or to rent out as short term rentals. 

    Accountable Balance Bookkeeping, LLC
    • Property Manager · Little Rock, AR · Member since 2018 · 58 posts · 47 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @William Whitley:

      I have an investor client that purchased an improved property for rental and it included an additional lot. They ended up building on that additional lot and were planning to hold it as as rental. In the end, they decided to sell it. I have another client that is a builder, and they build fully furnished properties. I believe they are selling them either to people looking for fully furnished second homes or to rent out as short term rentals. 

      I love this, we recently bought a fixer up that had 5 adjacent lots that we will build on eventually.  After fixing and selling the house we will be into the lots for $0.  Ive heard of the fully furninshed homes and may work here as a lake house, I have helped people buy former airbnb's and they kept the furnishings since it was a second home.
  • Stuart UdisPro Member
    Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11mo

    I build but no rental product lately. Certainly not delivering a 2 unit building at $240k. Even if the land was free, its next to impossible to build a 2,000 SF structure including design fees, carrying costs and construction costs for $240K where I invest in Philadelphia. Can't even look at new construction development with rents below $1100/m either.  I am sure your construction costs are lower in Little Rock Arkansas than in Philadelphia which explains why you can build at the cost basis mentioned in your post but unless the property is located in an irreplicable location I would urge investors looking to build ground up to seek better margins than building to 87% of the completed value. Its also difficult to scale right now building new construction because equity is largely trapped...can't refi out. In order to scale while building new construction you need a lot of cash or patient capital partners willing to leave money in deals, which is not an easy ask. Even if your example has a higher appraisal, you will still struggle to refi out cash because of the rents the property collects.

    • Property Manager · Little Rock, AR · Member since 2018 · 58 posts · 47 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Stuart Udis:

      I build but no rental product lately. Certainly not delivering a 2 unit building at $240k. Even if the land was free, its next to impossible to build a 2,000 SF structure including design fees, carrying costs and construction costs for $240K where I invest in Philadelphia. Can't even look at new construction development with rents below $1100/m either.  I am sure your construction costs are lower in Little Rock Arkansas than in Philadelphia which explains why you can build at the cost basis mentioned in your post but unless the property is located in an irreplicable location I would urge investors looking to build ground up to seek better margins than building to 87% of the completed value. Its also difficult to scale right now building new construction because equity is largely trapped...can't refi out. In order to scale while building new construction you need a lot of cash or patient capital partners willing to leave money in deals, which is not an easy ask. Even if your example has a higher appraisal, you will still struggle to refi out cash because of the rents the property collects.


       Margins are tight on these for sure.  Would love to build more higher end specs down the road but sales market is pretty slow right now so doesn't seem to be worth the risk of carrying costs and sales prices/ margins are lower than other markets. I have some friends around the US that build much more expensive homes with great margins just not realistic right now.  Trapped equity is a real problem, we just finished a few different duplexes that have quite a bit of trapped equity.  We will likely sell just because of this.

    • Alan AsriantsBusiness Member
      Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Stuart Udis:

      I build but no rental product lately. Certainly not delivering a 2 unit building at $240k. Even if the land was free, its next to impossible to build a 2,000 SF structure including design fees, carrying costs and construction costs for $240K where I invest in Philadelphia. Can't even look at new construction development with rents below $1100/m either.  I am sure your construction costs are lower in Little Rock Arkansas than in Philadelphia which explains why you can build at the cost basis mentioned in your post but unless the property is located in an irreplicable location I would urge investors looking to build ground up to seek better margins than building to 87% of the completed value. Its also difficult to scale right now building new construction because equity is largely trapped...can't refi out. In order to scale while building new construction you need a lot of cash or patient capital partners willing to leave money in deals, which is not an easy ask. Even if your example has a higher appraisal, you will still struggle to refi out cash because of the rents the property collects.


       I am experiencing the same hurdles on a piece of land that I own free and clear. Even having land value at 0 still gives me trouble taking all of my investment out with the cost of building and rental values upon a cash out refi. I would still have to leave money in the deal to make it worthwhile. 

      Usually the cost of land os the hurdle, but here - even if the land is free there are underwriting challenges because of rates, cost of constructions, permitting and approval costs, and rental values falling shorter than needed for cash out refi. 

      Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate 590 Reviews
      View Page
    • Wholesaler · CA · Member since 2023 · 10 posts · 3 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Alan Asriants:
      Quote from @Stuart Udis:

      I build but no rental product lately. Certainly not delivering a 2 unit building at $240k. Even if the land was free, its next to impossible to build a 2,000 SF structure including design fees, carrying costs and construction costs for $240K where I invest in Philadelphia. Can't even look at new construction development with rents below $1100/m either.  I am sure your construction costs are lower in Little Rock Arkansas than in Philadelphia which explains why you can build at the cost basis mentioned in your post but unless the property is located in an irreplicable location I would urge investors looking to build ground up to seek better margins than building to 87% of the completed value. Its also difficult to scale right now building new construction because equity is largely trapped...can't refi out. In order to scale while building new construction you need a lot of cash or patient capital partners willing to leave money in deals, which is not an easy ask. Even if your example has a higher appraisal, you will still struggle to refi out cash because of the rents the property collects.


       I am experiencing the same hurdles on a piece of land that I own free and clear. Even having land value at 0 still gives me trouble taking all of my investment out with the cost of building and rental values upon a cash out refi. I would still have to leave money in the deal to make it worthwhile. 

      Usually the cost of land os the hurdle, but here - even if the land is free there are underwriting challenges because of rates, cost of constructions, permitting and approval costs, and rental values falling shorter than needed for cash out refi. 

       Hi Alan,
      Have you thought about building outside of PA?
      I’m based in California but exploring investment opportunities in other states.
      Best regards,

      Jeni

  • Wholesaler · CA · Member since 2023 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    11mo

    Hi Chase,

    That is impressive what you do and the cost involved. 

    How long does it take you to demolish and build a new home around 600-900sqf?

    Do you work in other states too?

    Are  you building with modular home?

    I'm a new real estate investor, and I found properties that I'd rather to build than rehab. So, I was looking for alternatives and I'd like to know your process.

    I have a hard money lender that I can use if I find a good deal.

    Best regards,

    Jeni

    • Property Manager · Little Rock, AR · Member since 2018 · 58 posts · 47 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Jeniffer Quijada:

      Hi Chase,

      That is impressive what you do and the cost involved. 

      How long does it take you to demolish and build a new home around 600-900sqf?

      Do you work in other states too?

      Are  you building with modular home?

      I'm a new real estate investor, and I found properties that I'd rather to build than rehab. So, I was looking for alternatives and I'd like to know your process.

      I have a hard money lender that I can use if I find a good deal.

      Best regards,

      Jeni




      Good morning, ma’am. I hope all is well!

      I’d be happy to chat anytime. I’m originally from the San Francisco Bay Area, so I totally get what you’re up against out there. It’s a tough market to make new construction pencil, a lot of red tape, higher build costs, and rents that often don’t justify those numbers unless you’re doing something at scale, like a full build-to-rent subdivision.  If i were to build in CA i would focus on high end spec homes in desirable areas.  Lead time would be long but i think it would make much more sense than BTR in CA.

      Right now, we’re only licensed and building in Arkansas, but we’re open to expanding into nearby states if the right opportunity comes up. We don’t use modular homes, we’ve explored that route, but the cost and lead times haven’t made sense compared to our in-house builds, which end up higher quality at about the same cost.

      For smaller new builds (around 600–900 sq ft), the timeline is typically 3–6 months from start to finish, depending on permits and weather. Demolition here is quick, usually a couple of weeks if needed, though we often buy lots that are already cleared.

      Hard-money lending works fine for this type of project. We also use local banks that offer construction loans with similar structures but better terms, so it’s worth checking that route too.

      Happy to connect if you’d like to talk through the process or run a deal by me!



    • Wholesaler · CA · Member since 2023 · 10 posts · 3 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Chase Calhoun:
      Quote from @Jeniffer Quijada:

      Hi Chase,

      That is impressive what you do and the cost involved. 

      How long does it take you to demolish and build a new home around 600-900sqf?

      Do you work in other states too?

      Are  you building with modular home?

      I'm a new real estate investor, and I found properties that I'd rather to build than rehab. So, I was looking for alternatives and I'd like to know your process.

      I have a hard money lender that I can use if I find a good deal.

      Best regards,

      Jeni




      Good morning, ma’am. I hope all is well!

      I’d be happy to chat anytime. I’m originally from the San Francisco Bay Area, so I totally get what you’re up against out there. It’s a tough market to make new construction pencil, a lot of red tape, higher build costs, and rents that often don’t justify those numbers unless you’re doing something at scale, like a full build-to-rent subdivision.  If i were to build in CA i would focus on high end spec homes in desirable areas.  Lead time would be long but i think it would make much more sense than BTR in CA.

      Right now, we’re only licensed and building in Arkansas, but we’re open to expanding into nearby states if the right opportunity comes up. We don’t use modular homes, we’ve explored that route, but the cost and lead times haven’t made sense compared to our in-house builds, which end up higher quality at about the same cost.

      For smaller new builds (around 600–900 sq ft), the timeline is typically 3–6 months from start to finish, depending on permits and weather. Demolition here is quick, usually a couple of weeks if needed, though we often buy lots that are already cleared.

      Hard-money lending works fine for this type of project. We also use local banks that offer construction loans with similar structures but better terms, so it’s worth checking that route too.

      Happy to connect if you’d like to talk through the process or run a deal by me!




       Hi Chase,

      Thank you for your response. I'd like to connect with you too.

      Best regards,

      Jeni

  • Member since 2023 · 18 posts · 7 votes
    10mo

    Are you selling these in Little Rock as well or just rehabbing, managing and renting yourselves? 

    • Property Manager · Little Rock, AR · Member since 2018 · 58 posts · 47 votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Blake Whiddon:

      Are you selling these in Little Rock as well or just rehabbing, managing and renting yourselves? 


       Blake, I hope all is well!  We do both.  We try to keep as many of them as possible but sell some and build some for customers as well!

  • Zul BudhwaniPro Member
    Investor · Grapevine, TX · Member since 2016 · 78 posts · 39 votes
    10mo

    @Chase Calhoun Keep up the great work sir. Looking forward to connecting again soon. 

    • Property Manager · Little Rock, AR · Member since 2018 · 58 posts · 47 votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Zul Budhwani:

      @Chase Calhoun Keep up the great work sir. Looking forward to connecting again soon. 


       Thank you Sir!  we really need to do some of these for you!  Let's catch up next time you're in town.

  • James JonesPro Member
    Investor · Collierville, TN 38017 · Member since 2017 · 595 posts · 445 votes
    10mo

    Love this breakdown. We’ve seen the same thing in Memphis, once you get the build-to-rent model dialed in, the predictability is a game-changer.

    Rehabs can make you money, but new construction lets you control the process, control the finishes, and control the long-term maintenance curve. That’s where the real scalability comes in.

    What stood out most to me in your numbers is how quickly they leased. When a unit is clean, modern, and consistent across your portfolio, tenants stick longer and the whole operation becomes way more repeatable.

  • Investor · Statewide, MO · Member since 2011 · 814 posts · 425 votes
    10mo

    We've done a bunch of build to rents.  Congrats on your first. If you're all in with no money or little to no money out of pocket at 87% level you've done pretty good in this climate. 

    We've had a lot of success working with Lowe's and their pro programs. If you're buying in volume and bulk, it would absolutely be worth talking to them. We revise what we want and characteristics of the homes we build from time to time. You're wise being careful not to over build.

    It's a good looking build!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.