Gift Cards/Incentives - cost saving strategies for buying materials

4 Replies

What are some cost saving strategies people use to buy materials from Lowes/Home Depot/Menards etc.

I am planning to close on a house on the 23rd of January.  It needs 4 to 6 windows replaced.  Windows total will probably run around $600 total.

After closing, I was planning to open a new mastercard/visa account to get $100 if I spend $500 in the first 3 months  I know my bro in law has a mastercard that gives him 3% back in cash on what he spends.

Also there are some web sites that I can buy home depot gift cards 10% off.

Do any other BP members start combining these to reduce their costs?  I would think it would really be worth it if you were spending a bunch as a builder/rehabber?

What are the innovative ways you've saved money on materials?

If we get the house we are currently working on. It will need a total paint job. I was thinking about combining the 10% military discount with the gift discount, along with getting points for putting it all on my credit card.

I called home depot today and they said I could combine 10% military with gift discount.  Still working on the best point credit card.  What kind of points are you getting on your cards?

I know at one point Menards was allowing people to get 11% back on gift cards.  Then use the gift cards to buy material and get another 11% back. (in Menards store credit)

I have an american express hilton and a master card loft for clothes. So I get those points, the military discount and than the gift card :)

Check out ebay for 10% off lowes coupons that you can use at HD and other stores. (makes sure you get a physical 10% off coupon). I have used it with multiple flips and the savings can be substantial. I use Home Depot, and have a pro reward account which gives me additional discount.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.