Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Innovative Strategies
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Derrell Barton
  • Canoga Park, CA
Votes |
How to get 50 rentals in 5 years making 60k a year salary CA?

Derrell Barton
  • Canoga Park, CA
Posted

So I want to hear you guys' thoughts on how to obtain 50 rental properties in 5 years while earning a 60k a year salary in southern California. Is this goal possible? If so, what strategy would you guys use to obtain this goal? 

Thanks! 

This is my current situation... :)

User Stats

Votes
Andres Verney
  • Investor / Builder
  • Lake Mary, FL
Votes |
  • Investor / Builder
  • Lake Mary, FL
Replied

Wow.  Very ambitious. Good for you.

One way is to become a property manager and make a small % off each house you manage.  You can do that in 2-3 years.

Other way is lease options.  You find motivated sellers who are willing to lease their house to you and you in turn find tenants who want to lease with option to purchase that house.  You make $ with non-refundable deposit up front and the spread between the rents.

S California sounds like an expensive market to me.  I'm in FL.

Another way is to joint venture with investors who have the money, but need good deals.  You become the expert in finding great deals and split the rent with the investor who puts up the money.

Hope these ideas help.

Good luck.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Hirko
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied

@Derrell Barton Is it possible to own them outright? No, it's not realistic. However, as @Andres Verney suggested, if you get a percentage off of other people's rentals, and roll that into your own, that could help you on your way and allow you to minimize the expenses on your own rentals. I would suggest you look for partners first, unconventional lenders second, and figure out what market you can make this work it - I doubt it is southern California.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Ben Leybovich
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH
Votes |
  • Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH
Replied

Why do you want 50 rentals? What if you could make the same cash flow with 12 - wouldn't it be much easier to only own 12? Just a thought :)

User Stats

Votes
Ali Sheik
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied

Ha, and some of us are still trying to find our first property to land. Great podcast @Ben Leybovich. I like your philosophy. Just need enough passive income to get me out of the rat race one day. Best of luck with your health

User Stats

Votes
Derrell Barton
  • Canoga Park, CA
Votes |
  • Canoga Park, CA
Replied
Originally posted by @Ben Leybovich:

Why do you want 50 rentals? What if you could make the same cash flow with 12 - wouldn't it be much easier to only own 12? Just a thought :)

Yeah 12 would be fine if the cash flow was the same as 50. Just threw a higher number out there because I figure more is better ;)

User Stats

Votes
Derrell Barton
  • Canoga Park, CA
Votes |
  • Canoga Park, CA
Replied
Originally posted by @Andres Verney:

Wow.  Very ambitious. Good for you.

One way is to become a property manager and make a small % off each house you manage.  You can do that in 2-3 years.

Other way is lease options.  You find motivated sellers who are willing to lease their house to you and you in turn find tenants who want to lease with option to purchase that house.  You make $ with non-refundable deposit up front and the spread between the rents.

S California sounds like an expensive market to me.  I'm in FL.

Another way is to joint venture with investors who have the money, but need good deals.  You become the expert in finding great deals and split the rent with the investor who puts up the money.

Hope these ideas help.

Good luck.

Wow, thanks for your input! Much appreciated :)

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Phu
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • San Diego, CA
Replied
Originally posted by @Derrell Barton:
Originally posted by @Ben Leybovich:

Yeah 12 would be fine if the cash flow was the same as 50. Just threw a higher number out there because I figure more is better ;)

Great mentality! Why shoot for 50? 10X that goal and make it 500!! I can't provide much help though as I am a newbie BUT I look forward to hearing other's thoughts because I am also in southern California.