Getting started in Tax Liens

4 Replies

I'd like to start learning about tax liens. Can anyone explain how they work? How do I acquire a tax lien? When do they pay? How much? What do they cost?

From what little I know, these liens are a good way to get going with a little cash. Am I right?

Thanks.

Hi columbia28,

courts auction tax liens to the lowest bidders? how this works is they auction liens starting at 15% and work the bid down...

Say you purchase a certificate for 1000 that is being offered to pay you 15% at the end of the term which i believe is 3 years? not sure.

I then come in and bid on the same certificate for 14%... if you don't go lower, i win the bid. i am then guaranteed 14% on my investment when it's time to collect.

hope this helps

AD 2005

Thanks for the explanation. What determines to value of the certificates, though? You said $1000. Why would it go for $1000, or any other amount?

It is slowly starting to make sense.

Interest rates determine the value. I get the rate that I have locked in as my return... if I lower my rate then I lower my return (but I will win the bid).

This post has been removed.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here