Questions About Seller Financing

Questions About Seller Financing

Property Manager · Central Florida · Member since 2020 · 236 posts · 128 votes

Hey guys! My name is Ben Morand and I am a 20 year old college student interested in buy & hold investing. Right now, I am just trying to gain as much knowledge as I can and build connections, as I am so eager to get started in the real estate investing world.

So currently, I am trying to learn the various ways to creatively finance my first deal. I am looking to do this because as a college student, I lack steady income and cash on hand, so it doesn't seem very likely that I'd be eligible to qualify for a conventional loan. While I've looked into hard money and FHA 203k loans, another option that I've considered is seller financing.

I’ve read Brandon Turner’s Book on Investing With No (and Low) Money Down, so I have a general understanding of several creative financing solutions. However, I still have several questions about seller financing, so if anyone would be willing to give some insight, I’d greatly appreciate it!

1) How common is it to find a seller that is willing to do seller financing? I know this is a bit of an ambiguous question, but I basically am wondering if it happens often (because from what I know about it, it seems like an amazing opportunity for both the buyer and the seller).

2) Is it hard to obtain without steady income? For my situation in particular, I do not have the steady income required to take on a conventional loan, so being able to work with seller financing instead would be ideal. I also am wondering because as far as I know, the seller’s property is used as collateral so if the buyer is unable to fulfill the loan, the seller gets the property back anyways. Is this generally how it works?

3) Going off of my last question, because the property is used as collateral and the seller gets it back if the buyer is unable to fulfill their side of the loan, is it common to see 0% down? Or do sellers usually still require a down payment? (sorry if this sounds a bit simple, I am just trying to understand the potential scenarios that can come out of such a deal)

4) What are interest rates typically like for seller financing? I’m assuming they are higher than a 30 year fixed rate, but how do they generally compare? Also, are the terms usually long spread (20-30 years) or shorter spread (1-5 years)?

5) Where do people usually search for properties that would be more open to seller financing? I know for this to work well, the seller needs to have a hefty amount of equity in the property, but most property owners do not, so I am just wondering if there is a way to know this before contacting the owner (or owner’s agent)?

Thank you in advance to anyone willing to give insight! I really really appreciate it. As a new and aspiring investor, I am so eager to put myself out there and take action towards my first deal.

I am open to any and all comments and would love to connect with others for the future if you’d like!

Thanks everyone!

0Reply
14 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brenden MitchumBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 872 votes
    6y

    Hey @Ben Morand

    I'd be happy to shed a little light on this subject. Disclosure: Having not yet done a seller financing deal, I speak from others' experience rather than my own.

    1. How common it is depends on the property class and type of seller you are targeting (I'll touch on this later). It also depends on the current market for that class. If it's a seller's market, you will typically find fewer sellers willing to seller finance. While it might seem like a Win-Win, many sellers just want the cash. They either want to 1031 into something else or they just don't want to be your bank.

    2. I would say this would also depend on the seller. They may not care if you have a large amount of savings. It's all about the relationship you build with them. That's what really matters because if they trust you then they won't be quite as worried about having to take their property back from you. Again, a lot of people won't want to seller finance for this exact reason. But yes, if you default they can take the property back. There are contract terms that can give you some grace period (known as a "cure period"), which I highly recommend. 

    3. This would also completely depend. I've seen some sellers in the mobile home park space offering 50% seller financing (which is a joke in my opinion). I've also heard of people getting 100% seller financing. Again, this is just another negotiating point. Keep in mind, if you don't have enough money to put at least 5% down, then you probably should not be buying that property anyways. In this situation, consider some kind of lease-option. 

    4. Yes, the rate will almost always be higher than a traditional bank loan rate. Again, just another term to negotiate. The loan term could be 20 or 30 years but typically there is a balloon at 5-10 years so you'll need to have your refinance plan in place before going into the deal. 

    5. Seller finance deals are everywhere, and nowhere. You may never run into one in your real estate journey or you might run into a bunch. Again, it depends on your strategy. If you're direct marketing to mom & pop mobile home park owners or distressed SF owners you might find them frequently. However, there is no golden ticket here. You just need to learn how to convince sellers to seller finance because many have not considered it an option before. Remember, they have a specific expectation of what selling their property will be like and if you are going to come in and suggest something different you will need to be convincing. 

    Hope this makes sense and helps a bit! Please feel free to message me anytime if you have other questions or just want to chat!

  • Property Manager · Central Florida · Member since 2020 · 236 posts · 128 votes
    6y

    @Brenden Mitchum Brenden, thank you so much! I really appreciate your help on the matter! Just connected and sent you a PM.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.