• Contractor
  • Wasilla, AK
Votes |
HOW DO I SELF DIRECT MY IRA?

Alvaro Narino
  • Contractor
  • Wasilla, AK
Posted Sep 22 2020, 19:16

ANYBODY HAVE GOOD OR BAD EXPERIENCES WITH SELF DIRECTED IRA INTO REAL ESTATE? GENERAL THINGS TO THINK ABOUT?

I WOULD BE DIRECTING INTO RAW GROUND THAT I WILL SUBDIVIDE IN 2 YEARS. MY THOUGHT WAS IF I COULD USE MY SELF DIRECTED IRA INSTEAD OF A HARD MONEY LENDER, I COULD BENIFIT ON BOTH ENDS.

User Stats

Votes
Bill Brandt#3 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Sep 22 2020, 19:23

Please read some books and contact some experts. REMEMBER, if you screw up the IRS considers it a 100% cashout of your IRA including penalties and taxes being due. That could mean something stupid like you mowing the grass, or parking your RV on it. You can't benefit from the property and your IRA can't benefit rom you doing work on it.

Also consider you are turning a capital gain that might be taxed at 15% in to regular income taxed at your regular income rate.

Be careful and study the rules/laws and consult experts. Make sure the possible gain is large enough to cover the extra costs. 

User Stats

Votes
Dmitriy Fomichenko
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Solo 401k Expert
  • Anaheim Hills, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Solo 401k Expert
  • Anaheim Hills, CA
Replied Sep 23 2020, 15:11

@Alvaro Narino

When you say "benefit on both ends", what do you mean by that? Do you wish to buy the land personally and use your self-directed IRA as a lender instead of hard money? If that is the case - this would not be possible, the IRA can't lend money to yourself since you are considered "Disqualified person". 

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.