• Property Manager
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Funding First Property - Owner Occupied

Bryce Baker
  • Property Manager
  • San Diego, CA
Posted Aug 17 2018, 15:31

I've been analyzing condos in 92102 and believe I can make a 2B/2BA work with an FHA owner occupied loan just so I can get my feet wet with my first deal and stop wasting my money renting. I believe I can leverage direct family to provide the capital for anything above what I cannot afford in terms of closing costs and unanticipated costs that may arise during my first purchase. My question is how do I involve my family in the deal for an owner occupied purchase? Can it be structured so that they receive benefits from appreciation, etc? I simply want to get things rolling and a condo that makes my housing expense tolerable by renting out the other room seems to be my best option at this point. All input appreciated, thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Perry Farella
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Aug 17 2018, 15:40

HI. Be sure to check the condo development has been pre-approved for FHA loans, many are not . Or were in the past but have Expired. You can check at HUD website for condo approvals by zipcode. Alternatively you can buy with conventional financing with 5% down. If you need funds for down payment that can be a gift from family. You would still live there for 12 months and then turn it into a rental. If you need rehab funds that can be added ot the conventional loan called HomeStyle.

User Stats

Votes
Casey Murray
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Aug 18 2018, 11:17

@Bryce Baker Get everything written on paper as if it's a legal binding partnership with your family. List out who gets their allocable share of rental income, expense, depreciation, credits and appreciation. Will you sell after 3 years or is this going to be held a long time? Are you going to refinance down the road to pay them off? Consider the important scenario and get in agreement. Good luck!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bryce Baker
  • Property Manager
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Aug 20 2018, 19:52

@Perry Farella and @Casey Murray really appreciate the input, both very helpful! I'll DM you guys as I get into specifics of a deal :)