Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
San Jose Real Estate Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Hanna C.
  • Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
Recommendations for vendors?

Hanna C.
  • Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Posted

Hi guys - 

I'm setting up my systems - list of vendors, etc. And as all of you in San Jose / California Bay Area know, prices here are very high! 

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on good people to use for the following (that don't break the bank for a small entrepreneur) - 

- Lawyer: To handle things like LLCs, give advice, etc (Folks I've spoken to charge $3K per LLC!)
- Accountant
- Any other vendor suggestions (e.g. contracators, subs) also appreciated 

Thank you!

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Replied

Hi Hanna,

Feel free to reach out to me. I form my LLCs through Rocketlawyer.com for $250 one time fee. My CPA is free to talk to. She also works with a RE attorney if that's the route you prefer to take. BiggerPockets doesn't allow one to post names and contact info since they perceive it as advertising.

Our property manager has some really good subs if you need referrals. Keep in mind that these guys are extremely busy at the moment. Send me a colleague request if you're interested.

By the way, prices in the Bay Area are high for a reason. Would you rather own something that everyone wants, or something nobody cares for? It's Econ 101. ;o)

Good luck.

User Stats

Votes
Hanna C.
  • Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Replied

Thanks Minh - super helpful. I'll send you a request to connect! 

BAM Capital  logo
BAM Capital
|
Sponsored
Your Path to Generational Wealth We offer wealth-building and income-producing real estate opportunities for accredited investors.

User Stats

Votes
John D.
  • Fremont, CA
Votes |
  • Fremont, CA
Replied

Hello Minh, sending you a request as well if you don't mind.

User Stats

Votes
Chuck Hattemer
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Jackson, WY
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Jackson, WY
Replied

Hi @Hanna C.

If you are searching for maintenance vendors, I may be able to help out. Are you searching for primarily licensed, insured, and bonded folks or just the most affordable in town?

I think Minh's got the right strategy for setting up an LLC through something quick and cost effective such as RocketLawyer. If you're looking for further advice, we work closely with Judy Tsai who specializes in the South Bay Area and she's been a huge help for some of our clients in the past. I can get you a good rate if it's something you'd want to look at.

Feel free to shoot me a message if interested.

Best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Jenifer Levini
  • Attorney
  • Santa Cruz, CA
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • Santa Cruz, CA
Replied

Hi @Hanna C.,

I'm a lawyer helping investors in the bay area with all the legal processes: forming LLCs, writing the Sale & Purchase Agreements, Lease Agreements, Lease-Option Agreements, and any other contracts they need, explaining real estate processes, helping with negotiations and strategy, lot-line adjustments, land use questions (zoning & use permits), due diligence ...

The reason lawyers charge more than someone illegally practicing law without a license is because a good lawyer gets to know and understand your needs, writes operating agreements that will protect you and your LLC for your specific situation, works with you to make sure you understand your operating rules including the all the actions you can and cannot take when operating as an LLC. Creating an entity (LLC) is not like buying a shirt. The cheapest one is not what you want. You are buying a suite of services and a team member who will be there to protect you.

PM me if you want any help. I'm working with a lot of the investors around the area.

Jen the lawyer

User Stats

Votes
Anne Whalen
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Santa Clara, CA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Santa Clara, CA
Replied

Hi everyone! Hopping on this post in hopes to get your help. I'm looking for a great handyman on my rental turnover and have a need immediately to help remove and replace some baseboards and drywall around a sliding glass door. Please let me know if you have someone you'd recommend. Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Scott Raley
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Jose, CA
Replied

I have a great network  of general contractors, attorneys and tax professionals that can help you.  I've lived, worked and invested in San Jose for over 30 years.  Feel free to reach out to me and I'll be happy to pass along their contact information. 

User Stats

Votes
Jenifer Levini
  • Attorney
  • Santa Cruz, CA
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • Santa Cruz, CA
Replied

@Account Closed you might want to check out the class action lawsuits that Rocketlawyer (and legalzoom) have lost because their agreements dont hold up in court. 

There is a pretty good summary here:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/dont-buy-legal-do...

If you google their class action law suits you'll never use their services again. Thousands of people end up losing in court and then suing the contract writing company. The company tries to hide behind some fine print that they arent responsible for bad contracts.

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Replied
Originally posted by @Jenifer Levini:

@Account Closed you might want to check out the class action lawsuits that Rocketlawyer (and legalzoom) have lost because their agreements dont hold up in court. 

There is a pretty good summary here:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/dont-buy-legal-do...

If you google their class action law suits you'll never use their services again. Thousands of people end up losing in court and then suing the contract writing company. The company tries to hide behind some fine print that they arent responsible for bad contracts.

Hi Jenifer,

Thanks for brining this to my attention. We only use Rocketlawyer to form our LLC with the State. Our LLC Operating Agreement was prepared and reviewed by 4 attorneys so we're good there until otherwise.

User Stats

Votes
Steve B.
  • Engineer
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
  • Engineer
  • Portland, OR
Replied

That article just points out a generic internet legal forms might not be specific enough to fully encompass certain purchasers needs. whereas a hired lawyer can modify a legal document template to cover specific circumstances.

The article reads like a lobbying campaign piece from the ABA.

Newsflash: lawyers hate online legal company's almost as much as asbestos mitigation contractors proclaim the instant death effects of asbestos.