Should I be an Agent or a Salesman/Investor?

6 Replies | San Francisco, California

If you work in technical services or sales you can make more money than most people can really ever imagine, if you do well at it, think hundreds of thousands a year.

Id do the entry level sales job

Benjamin.  As one closer to the other end of the life cycle, 66 this year, with a history of having a real estate jones, get as much cash as possible first.  Grow your real estate knowledge and connections with time. While it seems an automatic pathway to riches currently, there are down cycles out there. With cash you will get better deals and terms, and better survive the when stuff justs nasty.  There is much more to the story, as you to will learn.

I was in your shoes once and went to college and then got my real estate license and work for a real estate company. While I got a lot of experience that I wouldn't have gotten otherwise, the business didn't pay very well where I live. If you have a $70,000 opportunity take it and work on your real estate license on the side. That's the great thing about real estate is that you can work it full-time or part-time. The one thing I would do differently would be to house hack instead of keeping my primary home. Take those opportunities while you're single because once you're married and have a family it does make it a little more complicated. Sales doesn't have to be a miserable job. Any job is what you make it. Take the opportunity of being face to face with lots of people to begin your networking. Sales is a great opportunity to build all the skills that you will need to make you a very successful person in communication so take advantage of every opportunity that you get.

I totally agree with what Margie said.  Take the opportunity your sales job will provide and increase your education (knowledge) of Real Estate while receiving a pay check and hopefully full benefits.  There are entry level jobs in RE, too many to list here, but probably none that will provide you with $70K a year.  As you build your knowledge and network, you can invest on the side but have comfort knowing that a downturn in the market, as Dan mentioned, will not be as brutal because you're still making money in your "normal" job.  Good luck - and if sales sound absolutely miserable, you might want to rethink RE investing all together!

You can get a loan broker, insurance, of financial planner licenses. Most CPAs or business majors have all these licenses, plus a RE broker licenses. You dwell on one that you feel most comfortable with.  Many broker also carry and do appraisal, loan (two types), home inspection, general contractor, and a professional engineers(in SFBA techie heavy). The more the better because you may find one that serves you better.